Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ST55 or ST65 from 1981 Pickups
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bluejeannot
Guitar God


Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 1658
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good comeback Hiro!
_________________
bluejeannot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brokentoes
Guitar God


Joined: 01 Jul 2008
Posts: 1459
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a set of "U"s that measure

Neck - 6.0
Middle - 6.2
Bridge - 6.1


Let me know if anyone would like to trade a set of "E"'s. I've got mostly humbucker's from boutique winders to offer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
bluejeannot
Guitar God


Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 1658
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Es are fabulous pickups although some us don`t like them. They really nail that vintage Strat sound. I think that Felix Catus's 6 plus ohms Es are outliers as Es are usually underwound compared to Us.However from what I have read from a very early Tokai catalogue the Es are hand wound as opposed to the Us which are machine wound, so anything is possible as regards the number of windings.
_________________
bluejeannot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
felixcatus
Guitar God


Joined: 03 Nov 2010
Posts: 1279
Location: Antwerp, Belgium

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluejeannot wrote:
The Es are fabulous pickups although some us don`t like them. They really nail that vintage Strat sound. I think that Felix Catus's 6 plus ohms Es are outliers as Es are usually underwound compared to Us.However from what I have read from a very early Tokai catalogue the Es are hand wound as opposed to the Us which are machine wound, so anything is possible as regards the number of windings.


Good point. I must say and fwiw, that to my ears the E's in my 1981 ST80R sound 'smoother' than the E's in my 1978 ST100.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
guitar hiro
Guitar God


Joined: 05 Dec 2013
Posts: 274

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this entire thread replete with members making unsubstantiated claims in regard to Tokai pickups is analogous to a fishing trip in which folks claimed a 12-ounce sun fish was actually a 7 lb. - 8 oz. large mouth black bass.

Pretty funny sh!t
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bluejeannot
Guitar God


Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 1658
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guitar hiro wrote:
Yes, this entire thread replete with members making unsubstantiated claims in regard to Tokai pickups is analogous to a fishing trip in which folks claimed a 12-ounce sun fish was actually a 7 lb. - 8 oz. large mouth black bass.

Pretty funny sh!t
Both Felix and myself know more about Tokai pickups than you will ever know my jumped up little sprat.The quotes about Tokai pickups are entirely substantiated ,it's just that you don't know jack (fish) about any of them. I would stick to fishing for your old freshwater black bass if I were you largemouth. Just leave the sea bass to the adults and the experts,because you are clearly out of your depth in this particular ocean. Pretty funny sh*t huh? :
_________________
bluejeannot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
guitar hiro
Guitar God


Joined: 05 Dec 2013
Posts: 274

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluejeannot wrote:
guitar hiro wrote:
Yes, this entire thread replete with members making unsubstantiated claims in regard to Tokai pickups is analogous to a fishing trip in which folks claimed a 12-ounce sun fish was actually a 7 lb. - 8 oz. large mouth black bass.

Pretty funny sh!t
Both Felix and myself know more about Tokai pickups than you will ever know my jumped up little sprat.The quotes about Tokai pickups are entirely substantiated ,it's just that you don't know jack (fish) about any of them. I would stick to fishing for your old freshwater black bass if I were you largemouth. Just leave the sea bass to the experts,because you are clearly out of your depth in this particular ocean.Pretty funny sh*t huh? :



and you claim someone else in this conversation to be lacking maturity? LOL.
Why have you failed to produce one, solitary, verified example of Tokai E, or U pickups with the single black insulator?
Your claims are nothing more than claims, and very fishy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bluejeannot
Guitar God


Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 1658
Location: London

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/gotoh-pickup-help.205902/ Gotoh who manufactured ALL the Tokai greybacked and was the ONLY maker of grey backed pickups in Japan at the time and also supplied Fernandes with the same units ,used a single black insulator on some of their 80s strat pickups.This is not definitive proof by any means, as this particular pickup is a stacked single coil/humbucker and has an additional earth , but it certainly beats any evidence to the contrary put forward by you Mr Hiro to support your theory that this pickguard and it's grey backed pickups, were somehow constructed and immaculately soldered together in a little shed in Yokohama or Kyoto,by some devious faker, using random bits and pieces from his spares drawer, which any Tokai buff would instantly be suspicious of, in order to screw a few extra yen out of an unsuspecting American buyer ! Your supporting evidence for your ludicrous theory seems to be entirely lacking .......but maybe that is because you literally haven't got a clue!
_________________
bluejeannot


Last edited by bluejeannot on Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
guitar hiro
Guitar God


Joined: 05 Dec 2013
Posts: 274

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aroomstudios wrote:
Just got the guitar. I measured the ohms with my Fluke meter through the 1/4 cable and moved the pickup selector according (bridge, middle, neck). All pots were fully turned on (vol 10, tone 10, tone 10) I got

Bridge - 5.951k
Middle - 5.806k
Neck - 5.723k

Sure measuring them de-soldered would probably give me a closer reading (but only 1-2%). I will do that tomorrow. But I would say these are E pickups from the measurements I got.


so, you have measured the ohms but how do the pickups sound? Do you like them?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
aroomstudios
Guitar God


Joined: 07 Jul 2017
Posts: 189
Location: California

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have not gotten around to listening to them yet. The guitar had 10 year old strings on it. Which I cut off when I pulled the pickguard off the measure them. I ordered a few things for it online. New Tremolo locking tuners etc. So, I am not going to put it back together until that stuff comes in a few weeks.

It needs some work but for the price it is a pretty good guitar.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bluejeannot
Guitar God


Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 1658
Location: London

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the strings have not just been cunningly faked and artificially distressed to look ten years old?
_________________
bluejeannot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brokentoes
Guitar God


Joined: 01 Jul 2008
Posts: 1459
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Historic" strings ? Just boil 'em up for an hour and they'll be good as new. Quit throwing your $$ away
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
guitar hiro
Guitar God


Joined: 05 Dec 2013
Posts: 274

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluejeannot,

Checking your posts to this thread:
Below are your posts, AND you agree that, "E pickups typically have the black & white insulators," YET you still have failed to demonstrate one solitary example to the contrary.

YOUR quotes:

“the pickups are almost certainly Es”

“Whilst I agree with Hiro that E pickups usually have one black and one white insulator”
You still have NOT accounted for this anomaly.

“Well here are some unstamped grey pickups on a 79 Springy ST80, who knows what might turn up next!” = = = = = = = = (BUT These have the white/black insulation)

“Yup, just as I suspected, they are unmolested Gotoh Es.The soldering looks original”

“http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/gotoh-pickup-help.205902/ Gotoh who manufactured ALL the Tokai greybacked and was the ONLY maker of grey backed pickups in Japan at the time and also supplied Fernandes with the same units ,used a single black insulator on some of their 80s strat pickups.This is not definitive proof by any means, as this particular pickup is a stacked single coil/humbucker and has an additional earth , but it certainly beats any evidence to the contrary put forward by you Mr Hiro”

“our theory that this pickguard and it's grey backed pickups, were somehow constructed and immaculately soldered together in a little shed in Yokohama or Kyoto,by some devious faker, using random bits and pieces from his spares drawer, which any Tokai buff would instantly be suspicious of, in order to screw a few extra yen out of an unsuspecting American buyer ! Your supporting evidence for your ludicrous theory seems to be entirely lacking .......but maybe that is because you literally haven't got a clue”





All while you provide absolutely nothing of real evidence to support your claim these are unstamped Tokai E pickups, you degrade the thread with your personal attacks on another Tokai Forum member (me).

Below are quotes from you:

"Both Felix and myself know more about Tokai pickups than you will ever know my jumped up little sprat.The quotes about Tokai pickups are entirely substantiated ,it's just that you don't know jack (fish) about any of them. I would stick to fishing for your old freshwater black bass if I were you largemouth. Just leave the sea bass to the adults and the experts,because you are clearly out of your depth in this particular ocean."



"some of their 80s strat pickups.This is not definitive proof by any means, as this particular pickup is a stacked single coil/humbucker and has an additional earth , but it certainly beats any evidence to the contrary put forward by you Mr Hiro to support your theory that this pickguard and it's grey backed pickups, were somehow constructed and immaculately soldered together in a little shed in Yokohama or Kyoto,by some devious faker, using random bits and pieces from his spares drawer, which any Tokai buff would instantly be suspicious of, in order to screw a few extra yen out of an unsuspecting American buyer ! Your supporting evidence for your ludicrous theory seems to be entirely lacking .......but maybe that is because you literally haven't got a clue!"


You sit here on this forum, making continual claims but you provide absolutely NO real information to back up your fairy tales, and you sling personal insults at forum members, just to make yourself feel good.

You should be ashamed at the fraud you exhibit here.

You sit here on this great forum & hurl sh!t at others, without any evidence of your claims, and you get your jollies. That is just low life POS.

When you have real evidence of your claim, then come back, without the personal insult bullsh!t.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bluejeannot
Guitar God


Joined: 20 Feb 2007
Posts: 1658
Location: London

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yawn.
_________________
bluejeannot
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hodge69
I only know 3 chords


Joined: 06 Apr 2018
Posts: 17
Location: Northumberland

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great debate, but let's not get personal.

My own opinion is that - if I'd bought an ST guitar from 1980ish, I'd like clarification on why the pickups are different to every other Tokai from that era.
They could well be Fernandes pickups which got mistakingly installed in the factory, but would this only happen once?
Could the price be affected in the future?
Could it be a prototype which is worth more?

This thread is definitely not finished, but let's keep it professional, gentlemen.

Hodge. 👍
_________________
Who put the bop in the bopshuwopshuwop?
Tokai did.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group