Crews Maniac Sound KTR NEXT 5D

Discussion area for other MIJ Guitars

Moderator: ned

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:27 am

Earth to Marco78 ....... crickets chirping :)

luis
Guitar God

Post by luis » Tue May 01, 2018 7:02 am

The first Crews KTR were Terada made according to them.
My mainly drawback to me was they don't have FEB which is a must on such a high money asked.

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Tue May 01, 2018 8:56 am

I know a guy in Tarrant County, Texas that has some old, vintage Gibsons; some more memorable examples are a '58 Flying V & a '58 Explorer.
Neither one has fret binding 8)

luis
Guitar God

Post by luis » Wed May 02, 2018 2:56 am

You are mixing apples and oranges.
I am not talking about good guitars BUT EXPENSIVE Les Pauls. HIGH END Les Paul should have all the LP appointments and one is fret edge binding (among others).

And just remember those Flying V, Explorers and Futuras were experiments, oddball guitars with odd shapes and korina (limba) wood not so common and cheap at that time. That is the reason so few were made

ES-335s have no fret edge binding too....

villager
Guitar God

Post by villager » Wed May 02, 2018 1:46 pm

some es-335's do..

luis
Guitar God

Post by luis » Thu May 03, 2018 8:57 am

Regular 50s model Tokai ES are modeleld after do not. ES350s yes they do.

villager
Guitar God

Post by villager » Thu May 03, 2018 11:35 am

the tokais do .. makes them better than the originals... :)

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:25 am

guitar hiro wrote:my Crews Musicland Key KTR LS-02 gold top arrived today & no Customs duty :D

I have read on the web that earlier Crews Les Paul examples with a lower MSRP were made by Deviser, which may have been the case then (I don't know).

This LS-02 is a 5D/2016 example. It has the same mill work in the control route & the same serial # font as my NEXT 5D.
That would seem to indicate both were made by the same factory; the NEXT 5D being higher end/higher MSRP & the LS-02 being the Performance Series/lower MSRP.
I believe these are both Terada factory made guitars. Just thought I would throw that out there.

IMO the workmanship, fit & finish, and attention to detail on the LS-02 is just as good as the NEXT 5D, which is saying a LOT 8)

Wanted to offer a small review of the two Crews KTR 5D examples I have had for some time now.

Both of my Crews KTR 5D guitars have turned out to be fantastic Les Pauls; even as different as they are I am very pleased with both :)

The Crews KTR NEXT 5D has quite a bit more weight, and the neck thickness is a solid 1 mm thicker at the first fret than the LS-02, making the neck thickness basically 'perfect' for my preference.
https://www.musicland.co.jp/pb/ktr/prod ... xt-5d.html

The Crews KTR (5D) LS-02 '54 HB/GT is a bit under 9 lb., and the neck thickness is a bit thinner than my preference but I have really been playing this Les Paul a LOT. :D
This one is basically a Jeff Beck 'Oxblood' with a factory gold top & the back is a clear coat/natural/dark brown Mahogany.
The pickups are original but the Crews specs only states, "KTR Original x 2" but these pickups DO sound very GOOD. 8)
The stop bar tail piece bridge IMO offers a completely different sonic dimension than the typical stop tail/ABR 1 set-up of the average Les Paul.
This particular example really does have some special combination of lumber; played acoustically/unplugged it has some major mojo within it's sonic signature. 8)
https://www.musicland.co.jp/pb/ktr/prod ... 02-54.html

Both guitars have the same size fret wire, .094" H x .056" W, and the fret work is completely flawless.

The NEXT 5D has a MSRP of 345,600 yen which is easily double plus the MSRP of the LS-02 but IMO the LS-02 holds it's own when compared side x side with the NEXT 5D. :D

These are the only two Crews examples I have had the pleasure to play, or to own, and the honey moons have both been over for some time.
I cannot say enough of how impressed I am with both of these Crews KTR 5D guitars; they got it 'right' when they put these out the factory door.

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:33 pm

OK; here is the deal.

I play my Crews KTR LS-02 very infrequently so, I don't have a very good reference point for the tonal/sonic response of the original pickups in this guitar.

So, I took the guitar out of the case today for the first time in likely three, or more months, and DAMN, these pickups are absolutely NUTZ!!!

The LS-02 is supposed to be the lower end Crews KTR Les Paul but these pickups sounds like a million buck$$$.

The only thing I have been able to find out about these pickups is from the Crews website: It states, "KTR Original" for pickups but it lists NO name for the pickups.

I cannot believe HOW GOOD these pickups sound.

Anyone that KNOWS what these pickups are in this 'bottom of the line' KTR example are, please let me know.

I played about 20 guitars today and these stock/original LS-02 pickups KILLED everything else :o

guitar hiro
Guitar God

Post by guitar hiro » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:37 pm

Played the 2016 Crews KTR LS-02 ’54 HB/GT for a good hour yesterday. :)

I am still baffled at how good these stock 'KTR Original' pickups sound in this guitar.
This Crews '54 sounds like a million buck$, really. 8)
A = Alnico :lol:

wulfman
Guitar God

Post by wulfman » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:45 pm

Maybe that "weight control" they do on the bodies makes them ring out all that much more. Terada makes impeccable instruments for a lot of brands, I'm not surprised you like yours so much.

villager
Guitar God

Post by villager » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:58 am

crews are making some of the nicest newer guitars these last few years