Springy Sound1980 what type of arm/whammy does it use?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aroomstudios

Reaction score
I have a 1980 ST-100. Do any of you guys know what type of arm the whammy bar uses?

I would like to order one of these if one of them fits?

https://g-gotoh.com/international/product/product-category/arms

Anyone know which one it is? I have gold hardware so a gold arm would be cool.

xqdno6.jpg

I've found that Mexican strats whammy bars fits japanese one, in any case they fit mine

The bar diameter is not important, but the thread diameter is: it should be around 4.7 mm

I've found some on ebay at 2€, but we must be very careful, the chinese ads rarely specify the thread diameter, as does the page you've quoted

Yeah, that sounds like I may have to order 2 or so before I get the right one. I went to my guitar tech today. I was hoping he would have a drawer full of bars and say "oh, it is this size." But he did not. He did say to open the trem up and look for a part number. I am re-doing all the wiring and installing new PU. So, I think I will pull the tremolo apart and have a look. It could use a good cleaning anyways. If I do not see a part number than I will probably order a Mexican sized one and give it a go. I would like a gold one if I can. I would also like to order a Gotoh one if I can. They are inexpensive and are pretty high quality from all the Gotoh stuff I have already which is quite a lot now.

I emailed Tokai. I have a custom guitar on order with them they are shipping in a few months. They said they have some NOS parts and they have an original arm for the ST-100 in gold. They are going to ship that over to me with my next guitar. He did not know what the Gotoh part number was as these are NOS. I am getting the original arm though so this will solve my problem.

@togps

Thank you. That is sort of what I though it would be. I just did not want to blindly order one though. Tokai is mailing me the NOS gold one. But not for several months as my special order from them will take that long to complete. The NOS one will be cool to have but I may just order a 5m one before that just so I have one right now.

https://g-gotoh.com/international/product/product-category/arms

The A1 is 5mm (M5)

PS

I ordered a 5m one from ebay and it fits the guitar perfect. I also opened up the tremolo unit to clean it. All it had written on it was "made in japan." I just ordered a cheep chrome color one. I will get the gold one from Tokai in a few months when they send my other guitar. So, the cheep one is fine for now or even as a backup later.

Hi guys,

Seeing as all Tokai hardware was made by Goto, the arm would be replaceable with a Gotoh Part# A1 Tremelo Arm, 5mm diameter around $10.00

Ciao

Yes, I know Tokai started using Gotoh at some point.

From me "Thank you. Yes, please send that with my next guitar. Do you happen to have that in Gold my St-100 has gold hardware. If not the Chrome you have pictured is fine. Is that Gotoh A1? from:

https://g-gotoh.com/international/product/product-category/arms"

Reply from Tokai

We have a gold one as per attached picture.
This comes from our old stock and not Gotoh’s.
I think it is the original one.

Best Regards
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shohei Adachi(足立 庄平)

I think that means for the ST-100 in 1980 or probably all of the ST series if not all of Tokai in 1980. They used their own hardware. Maybe they just used their own hardware for the arms and not the tremolo. Really not sure but this was straight from Shohei President of Tokai about a month ago.

Latest posts

Back