Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tokai Springy Sound St80 + above stock pickups from the 80s
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Tokai Springy Sound St80 + above stock pickups from the 80s Reply with quote

According to here and " iainblack" strat book. The St-70-120 from the early 80's has E stamp pickups.

According to here:

https://reverb.com/news/a-strat-by-any-other-name-the-tokai-springy-sound

Quote:

ST-42 (1977 - 1979) – U-shaped neck, chrome hardware, non-Kluson type tuners, ceramic pickups, 3- or 4-piece sen ash body with poly finish
ST-45 (1980 - 1981) – U-shaped neck, chrome hardware, non-Kluson type tuners, ceramic pickups, 3- or 4-piece alder body with poly finish
ST-50 (1977 - 1984) – U-shaped neck, nickel hardware, Kluson-type tuners, alnico “E,” “U,” “V” or “VI” pickups, 3-piece alder or sen ash body with poly finish
ST-60 (1977 - 1984) – V shaped neck, nickel hardware, Kluson-type tuners, alnico “E,” “U,” “V” or “VI” pickups, 2-piece sen ash or alder body with poly finish
ST-70 (1982 - 1983) – U-shaped neck, nickel hardware, Kluson-type tuners, DiMarzio VS-1 alnico pickups, 2-piece sen ash or alder body with poly finish
ST-80 (1979 - 1983) – V-shaped neck, nickel or gold hardware, Kluson-type tuners, DiMarzio VS-1 alnico pickups, 2-piece sen ash or alder body with nitro finish
ST-100 (1979 - 1983) – V-shaped neck, gold hardware, Kluson-type tuners, DiMarzio VS1 alnico pickups, 1- or 2-piece sen ash body with nitro finish
ST-120 (1982) – V-shaped neck, gold hardware, Kluson-type tuners, DiMarzio VS-1 alnico pickups, 1-piece ash body with nitro finish

The st 50-60 had E, U V or Vi picks and the ST80-120 has DiMarzio VS1. I have never seen anything other than E pickups in st-80 and above. I had some other sources the other day but cannot remember were they were. I think one said the E is the DiMarzio VS1. Then one said the DiMarzio VS1 and the E series are totally different.

Question is are they different? How do you know if you have DiMarzio VS1? I have a strat (st-100) coming in a few days. I hear the E series sound good and I also hear they sound bad. I was thinking about swamping them for Fralin hot PUs.

https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/vintage-hot/

I have sort of been wanting to try these pickups out for a while now. Just was waiting for the right strat to try them in.

What are your guys thoughts?

Last edited by aroomstudios on Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:02 am; edited 7 times in total
Len
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aroomstudios wrote:
How do you know if you have DiMarzio VS1? I have a strat (st-100) coming in a few days. I hear the E series sound good and I also hear they sound bad. I was thinking about swamping them for Fralin hot PUs.

Well, a vintage ST-100 is a great thing! Why not try how it sounds with the stock pickups before considering a swap?

The Dimarzios have black bobbins and their pickup covers have "Dimarzio" written on the inside. The E pickups have grey bobbins and "E"-stamp

There were some Silver Star SS-80 models with Dimarzios.

For an ST-80 it depends on what you mean by "early 80s". A 1980 or 1981 ST-80 Springy Sound has E pickups. But a 1984 ST-80 Goldstar Sound will have Dimarzios. (The VS-1s are listed in the 1984 catalogue as specs for the TST-80).

As for VS-1s and Es being the same thing. They are not - it΄s a wrong information that has been out there on the web for many years. It΄s quite impressive how this myth keeps popping up and confusing people who are not so familiar with the vintage Tokai stuff.
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to check out the new pickups first. The past few Tokai's I have got I just kept the stock PUs cause I liked them. These were all brand new Tokai's that were Fender type ones. I am not saying they are bad or it was a bad decisions to keep them in there. If I try the Fralin's and they sound better I will keep them in if not I will pull them out. If I pull them out I am sure I will install them in another guitar either now or eventually. So, they will still be put to use. I have a set of Flalin PAF's in one of my Vintage Love Rocks and love them.

That is some good info you posted about how to tell the difference from the E and Dimarzios. It is a 1980 St-100 so I guess E stamp I will double check when I pull the guitar apart. I bought the guitar for the wood not the electronics. When I buy old Tokais I always plan on replacing all the pots and PUs. At least this is what I did with all my Vintage Love Rocks. This is my first vintage Fender type Tokai. Before I bought this guitar I checked into the wood of the different ST series a lot. I went with the St-100 as it was a single piece body. I did not research the electronics at all as I was just planning on replacing them anyway.

PS mine is a Springy sound I messed up and wrote Silver Star as the title of this post on accident. Just edited the title.
felixcatus
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 'vintage' sounding Strat pickups, there's a lot of (over)hype around original '1982 Fender Fullerton Red Bobbins', I have put those next to some 1978 Tokai 'E's.

You tell me, if any, which you like most!

1; http://chirb.it/Fr79bc

2; http://chirb.it/cMLG0s
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@felixcatus

2 is clearly louder than 1 is. So, you have to notice that and take it into consideration.

I think I like 1 better. 2 seems like it maybe harsher sounding. Not that it is harsh sounding on its own but only in comparison to 1. I purchased the set of Fralins. I will have to listen to the E set. Then install the Fralins and listen to them. I think that is the only way I will get a real answer. If I decide to use the E pickups I will use the Fralins in something else later.
felixcatus
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aroomstudios wrote:
I bought the guitar for the wood not the electronics. When I buy old Tokais I always plan on replacing all the pots and PUs. At least this is what I did with all my Vintage Love Rocks. This is my first vintage Fender type Tokai. Before I bought this guitar I checked into the wood of the different ST series a lot. I went with the St-100 as it was a single piece body.

FWIW, I have a 1978 ST100 and a 1981 ST80R (both have one piece bodies, I know ST80 are specced as 2 piece, still some ST80s also have one piece), and to me my ST80R is the 'better' feeling and sounding guitar.

Although the ST100 aesthetically is the 'nicest', whenever I pick up a Strat type (my Breezy TE80R , also a one piece body, is my favorite, and gets most played), it's the ST80R.
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the R mean? I have heard of those before but do not know what it does or means.

Last edited by aroomstudios on Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
felixcatus
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aroomstudios wrote:
What does the R mean? I have heard of those before but do not know it does or means.

R(osewood fretboard).
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. I though that was still called st80 just with a rosewood fretboard.
felixcatus
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aroomstudios wrote:
I though that was still called st80 just with a rosewood fretboard.

http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/page%206%20Tokai.html

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/vol635.jpg

http://www.tokairegistry.com/images/catalogs/vol639.jpg

In the catalogues Rosewood fretboard designation comes behind the color code.
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunate enough to have a pair of ST80's - one with rosewood, one with maple.

felixcatus
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pair, Marcus . Out of curiosity, which one do you personally prefer and why?
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

felixcatus wrote:
Very nice pair, Marcus . Out of curiosity, which one do you personally prefer and why?

That's a tough one. It's like trying to decide which of your two kids you prefer more. They feel pretty much identical to one another and the E p'ups in each are nicely balanced - great on the low end and lots of spank on the high end without being shrill or thin.

The maple board is brighter - more chimey. Think of Jimmie Vaughan or Anson Funderburgh.

The rosewood board is less bright and the bottom end really comes through nicely - the neck pickup sounds great without being boomy. The in between positions 2 and 4 really come through great - real quacky. Maybe a bit more so than the maple board to my ears anyway.

Usually if I bring one or the other to a gig, I'll pack the other as a spare in case I pop a string. But I like to swap them out on sets so that I can really hear the tonal difference at show volume level.
villager
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leave the st100 as it is....
aroomstudios
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well right now the St-100 has a E in the bridge and the middle. Then it has a Dimarzio in the neck. The neck is about twice as loud of the bridge or middle. So, using the 3 way switch right now is strange. If I do keep the E PUs I would have to find another one on Ebay or so and install it in the neck or just go all 3 different pickups.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Vintage (Older than 1985) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: