Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

82 Super Real PUP Identification

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
brownie74
Plucker


Joined: 08 Apr 2018
Posts: 8
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: 82 Super Real PUP Identification Reply with quote

Hi All
New to the forum and a beginner player (just under 6 months) so be gentle!

I've been fortunate enough to buy a nice Greco 1982 Super Real and wondered if anyone could confirm a few things about the spec - predominantly the pick ups - the guitar is all original. The gentleman I purchased it from reckoned it is an EGC 1000 - I think mainly due to the braided wires on the pick ups. From what I can gather though in 1982 there was a transition to Mint Collection so difficult to ascertain the exact specs.
If anyone out there can shed some light or confirm that it is an EGC1000, I'd be grateful!

It has a 5 digit serial 2 59 (which I believe is 1982 and the neck style) ends in 52 - does that relate to a model type?

PS - No idea how to post pics but could email some!

Cheers.[/url]
_________________
In the process of learning how to get a tune out of a plank of wood!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wulfman
Guitar God


Joined: 07 Feb 2010
Posts: 908
Location: Ottawa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard question to answer as all sorts of 1982 Grecos models can have "Super Real" on the headstock and the serial number gives no clue as to the model.

Original pickups from 1982 almost always have stickers and would be Screamin, Double Trick or DRY. Does the guitar have fret-edge binding and how many pieces and what kind is the top? 2 or 3 piece? Plain top or flametop? All the pickups had braided wire then.

Need a bit more info here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brownie74
Plucker


Joined: 08 Apr 2018
Posts: 8
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wulfman wrote:
Hard question to answer as all sorts of 1982 Grecos models can have "Super Real" on the headstock and the serial number gives no clue as to the model.

Original pickups from 1982 almost always have stickers and would be Screamin, Double Trick or DRY. Does the guitar have fret-edge binding and how many pieces and what kind is the top? 2 or 3 piece? Plain top or flametop? All the pickups had braided wire then.

Need a bit more info here.


Hi
As I say, a bit new to this! Here is the link to the guitar on eBay with several pics. Hopefully you will get more info from that.
https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Greco-Super-Real-82-EGC-Les-Paul-Custom-/202274030043

Any info would be much appreciated. Sounds ace in my humble opinion though😁
_________________
In the process of learning how to get a tune out of a plank of wood!


Last edited by brownie74 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brokentoes
Guitar God


Joined: 01 Jul 2008
Posts: 1454
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's in great shape, '82 is a transitional year so I think you've gotten older Super Real pups (Maxon), and the non doweled long tenon of the mint collection. Nice mix i dare say. Frets look great, I think you choose wisely. I bet that one delivers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
brownie74
Plucker


Joined: 08 Apr 2018
Posts: 8
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brokentoes wrote:
That's in great shape, '82 is a transitional year so I think you've gotten older Super Real pups (Maxon), and the non doweled long tenon of the mint collection. Nice mix i dare say. Frets look great, I think you choose wisely. I bet that one delivers.


Thanks for the info there, How you can tell these things is beyond me! Is it likely to be an egc1000 then or some weird cross breed of specs?
_________________
In the process of learning how to get a tune out of a plank of wood!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wulfman
Guitar God


Joined: 07 Feb 2010
Posts: 908
Location: Ottawa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have there is a beautiful EC68-50, or "50,000 yen" model. It was the lowest custom and has rosewood board and acrylic inlays, but has all the ingredients to be a Gibson killer IMO. Congrats, and enjoy!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brownie74
Plucker


Joined: 08 Apr 2018
Posts: 8
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wulfman wrote:
What you have there is a beautiful EC68-50, or "50,000 yen" model. It was the lowest custom and has rosewood board and acrylic inlays, but has all the ingredients to be a Gibson killer IMO. Congrats, and enjoy!


Thanks for the info - appreciated!
_________________
In the process of learning how to get a tune out of a plank of wood!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brownie74
Plucker


Joined: 08 Apr 2018
Posts: 8
Location: UK

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wulfman wrote:
What you have there is a beautiful EC68-50, or "50,000 yen" model. It was the lowest custom and has rosewood board and acrylic inlays, but has all the ingredients to be a Gibson killer IMO. Congrats, and enjoy!


Have checked these out in old 1982 catalogue 'mint collection. It says they have the screamin' pups. Does that sound right?
If you don't mind me asking, how do you tell the difference between the super real EG1000 in the 1981 catalogue and the mint collection EC68-50? As to my untrained eye, they both look pretty similar to mine lol.

Sorry for all the questions
Cheers Steve

..as an aside, would anyone recommend the pearly gates pups in these guitars?
_________________
In the process of learning how to get a tune out of a plank of wood!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
marcusnieman
Guitar God


Joined: 22 May 2003
Posts: 8898
Location: Dallas, Texas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Screamin pickups - have them in an ES and EG59
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brokentoes
Guitar God


Joined: 01 Jul 2008
Posts: 1454
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture in the ebay ad shows numbers on the backside of the pickup. Those are the Maxon made pickups used during the earlier era. No number stamp on the mint collection in house made pickups. Like wulfman states they had little stickers, on the in house made ones. You can't really use the catalogs much because your guitar shares features from both the Super Real Guitars and the Mint collection. As to pickup change what style music do you play mostly ???
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
brownie74
Plucker


Joined: 08 Apr 2018
Posts: 8
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brokentoes wrote:
The picture in the ebay ad shows numbers on the backside of the pickup. Those are the Maxon made pickups used during the earlier era. No number stamp on the mint collection in house made pickups. Like wulfman states they had little stickers, on the in house made ones. You can't really use the catalogs much because your guitar shares features from both the Super Real Guitars and the Mint collection. As to pickup change what style music do you play mostly ???


Ah ok, thanks for that. Which Maxon ones would they be likely to be? I like (trying) to play )80s rock/blues rock/hair metal stuff.
In terms of the guitar spec then is it a bit of a cross breed of models and is that a good or bad thing?
Many thanks for taking the time to answer.
_________________
In the process of learning how to get a tune out of a plank of wood!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brokentoes
Guitar God


Joined: 01 Jul 2008
Posts: 1454
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is subjective. I'd think most people think having fret edge binding on a guitar is a upgraded feature, likewise on a long tenon, Does it have a solid top ?? I think you got the best of both worlds. '82 is thought to be part of the "Golden age" of Japanese guitar making. Have you the guitar in hand ?? I'd test drive the guitar before i start thinking about pickup swaps.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
brownie74
Plucker


Joined: 08 Apr 2018
Posts: 8
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brokentoes wrote:
Everything is subjective. I'd think most people think having fret edge binding on a guitar is a upgraded feature, likewise on a long tenon, Does it have a solid top ?? I think you got the best of both worlds. '82 is thought to be part of the "Golden age" of Japanese guitar making. Have you the guitar in hand ?? I'd test drive the guitar before i start thinking about pickup swaps.


Hi, yes I have the guitar but I'm a complete novice at these things so not sure how to check if it is solid. I better Google it! I know it weighs just under 9 pounds. The chap who sold it was a guitarist in a decent cover band. He had it as a back up and said it had had the thumbs up from a couple of well known players ...but then he also thought it was an egc1000.
_________________
In the process of learning how to get a tune out of a plank of wood!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
brokentoes
Guitar God


Joined: 01 Jul 2008
Posts: 1454
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i just looked back at the ad and i'm pretty sure that's a solid top. My advice is to plug in to your amp and start dialing in your sounds and listening for the sweet spots. If you can't find them then perhaps new pickups would better suit you. Getting there should be half the fun. I have two Greco Customs but they are both from the Mint Collection Series, an '84 and an '89. I don't have much knowledge about the Super Reals Era. Mine are both lower end models but are fantastic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
brownie74
Plucker


Joined: 08 Apr 2018
Posts: 8
Location: UK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brokentoes wrote:
Actually i just looked back at the ad and i'm pretty sure that's a solid top. My advice is to plug in to your amp and start dialing in your sounds and listening for the sweet spots. If you can't find them then perhaps new pickups would better suit you. Getting there should be half the fun. I have two Greco Customs but they are both from the Mint Collection Series, an '84 and an '89. I don't have much knowledge about the Super Reals Era. Mine are both lower end models but are fantastic.


Spent an afternoon trying to learn a zz top tune, playing through a pal's vox amp. The guitar sounded fab. My playing not so lol.
Anyway v happy with it.
Thanks for your advice.
_________________
In the process of learning how to get a tune out of a plank of wood!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Greco All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group