modifying old tokai strat affecting resale value

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratapotomus

Reaction score
I have a couple of ordinary goldstars ts45 1984 one is in almost mint original condition with replacement tonerider pick ups (which sound bland) and I dont like the lurid yellow/red/black sunburst body
The other is plain cream/white with handbuilt pickups and Wilkinson steel trem block and tuners, sounds very good.
I'm considering upgrading the sunburst one: change pickups, maybe change the colour, Wilkinson WVS50IIK two point trem etc would this devalue it?
Would it be better to sell it and create a partscaster from scratch instead?
Is that sunburst colour scheme at all popular as far as resale in concerned?

Personally i don't think modifying lower end Tokai's to affect resale value much. As long as you do a good job.Keep the original parts etc...

However when someone does a horrible butcher job on re-routing, then i would say it would affect value, or if you start messing with the higher end models, and don't have the original parts.

Same as above. On lower end models, the chances of "collection prices are low". The things changes on high end models. if you have an LS200 that you want to have in pink and change the whole electronic... it's probably a bad idea in a future sell price perspective.

Latest posts

Back