Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tokia SG ID

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrew4566
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Tokia SG ID Reply with quote

Hi...I am new to the forum and looking for information on my guitar.

I build amps and wanted a guitar to test with and learn to play.

I bought a reasonably priced cool USED SG style guitar back in 2008 maybe?

I paid between $200 and $300 at the time.

It has a Bigsby style trem on it that is exactly like a flat front Bigsby to the point that the parts are interchangeable, but has no name cast into it.

The auction stated that it had Seymour Duncan humbuckers but I have never removed them to look for ID. It also came with a set of Kent Armstrong P90 conversion Pickups ... and came with a nice gigbag.

It is SG styled but the body is shaped like an ESP Viper rather than the traditional shape.

It has the bump on the head stock, a three screw truss rod cover, MIK on the back, but HAS a serial number?

The fret board has binding but not the headstock and Tokai lettering looks very original and has a pearl look to it.

My point is I don't believe for the price I paid it would make sense it was a fake but I cannot find anything similar from Tokai anywhere on the net?

Any info would be appreciated.

felixcatus
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Tokia SG ID Reply with quote

andrew4566 wrote:
Hi...I am new to the forum and looking for information on my guitar.

I build amps and wanted a guitar to test with and learn to play.

I bought a reasonably priced cool USED SG style guitar back in 2008 maybe?

I paid between $200 and $300 at the time.

It has a Bigsby style trem on it that is exactly like a flat front Bigsby to the point that the parts are interchangeable, but has no name cast into it.

The auction stated that it had Seymour Duncan humbuckers but I have never removed them to look for ID. It also came with a set of Kent Armstrong P90 conversion Pickups ... and came with a nice gigbag.

It is SG styled but the body is shaped like an ESP Viper rather than the traditional shape.

It has the bump on the head stock, a three screw truss rod cover, MIK on the back, but HAS a serial number?

The fret board has binding but not the headstock and Tokai lettering looks very original and has a pearl look to it.

My point is I don't believe for the price I paid it would make sense it was a fake but I cannot find anything similar from Tokai anywhere on the net?

Any info would be appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I can't offer much help on your SG model, I hope other more knowledgeable members can.
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fake Tokai SG. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
andrew4566
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really bad news...I didn't know what a Tokai was when I bought it a decade ago and have found it to be able to meet my needs. So ...I don't really believe I overpaid for it.

It is a curious thing that someone would find value in making a Fake of an "inspired" design. I mean wouldn't make more sense to just put a fake Gibson on the headstock than a fake Tokai? It can't possibly increase the margins much to call it a made in Korea Tokia vs made in Korea "generic manufacturer".
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very strange thing (the fakes). I live in a country that turns a blind eye to "knock-off's". I don't just mean guitars either. I guess it's just too costly to deal with. On the other hand we can't buy New MIJ Tokai's here. There are fakes of just about every brand of guitar here, you really get to be informed if you want to buy a used guitar. I suppose it all boils down to money. If there's a buck to be made in this world people will pretty much do anything to grab for it. I'm betting that the 7.6 Billion people we now have on this rock has something to do with it. Greed the other 7/8 th.
andrew4566
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One additional question comes to mind...I realize that a MIK Tokai is substandard to a MIJ Tokai but is a MIK fake Tokai likely of similar construction/quality to a real MIK Tokai? ...or is that a big assumption?
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's to say ?? I've never had enough guitars in total let alone just MIK to have enough expertise. A good guitar is a good guitar. $200-$300 for a mod platform is good i'd say, can you tell what woods it's made of ?? That might make me think a guitar is worth more at least to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: