Tokia SG ID

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew4566

Reaction score
Hi...I am new to the forum and looking for information on my guitar.

I build amps and wanted a guitar to test with and learn to play.

I bought a reasonably priced cool USED SG style guitar back in 2008 maybe?

I paid between $200 and $300 at the time.

It has a Bigsby style trem on it that is exactly like a flat front Bigsby to the point that the parts are interchangeable, but has no name cast into it.

The auction stated that it had Seymour Duncan humbuckers but I have never removed them to look for ID. It also came with a set of Kent Armstrong P90 conversion Pickups ... and came with a nice gigbag.

It is SG styled but the body is shaped like an ESP Viper rather than the traditional shape.

It has the bump on the head stock, a three screw truss rod cover, MIK on the back, but HAS a serial number?

The fret board has binding but not the headstock and Tokai lettering looks very original and has a pearl look to it.

My point is I don't believe for the price I paid it would make sense it was a fake but I cannot find anything similar from Tokai anywhere on the net?

Any info would be appreciated.

VIHoOtL.jpg

b0eo7TJ.jpg

o3Nl728.jpg

MTmpmjM.jpg

andrew4566 said:
Hi...I am new to the forum and looking for information on my guitar.

I build amps and wanted a guitar to test with and learn to play.

I bought a reasonably priced cool USED SG style guitar back in 2008 maybe?

I paid between $200 and $300 at the time.

It has a Bigsby style trem on it that is exactly like a flat front Bigsby to the point that the parts are interchangeable, but has no name cast into it.

The auction stated that it had Seymour Duncan humbuckers but I have never removed them to look for ID. It also came with a set of Kent Armstrong P90 conversion Pickups ... and came with a nice gigbag.

It is SG styled but the body is shaped like an ESP Viper rather than the traditional shape.

It has the bump on the head stock, a three screw truss rod cover, MIK on the back, but HAS a serial number?

The fret board has binding but not the headstock and Tokai lettering looks very original and has a pearl look to it.

My point is I don't believe for the price I paid it would make sense it was a fake but I cannot find anything similar from Tokai anywhere on the net?

Any info would be appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I can't offer much help on your SG model, I hope other more knowledgeable members can.

Not really bad news...I didn't know what a Tokai was when I bought it a decade ago and have found it to be able to meet my needs. So ...I don't really believe I overpaid for it.

It is a curious thing that someone would find value in making a Fake of an "inspired" design. I mean wouldn't make more sense to just put a fake Gibson on the headstock than a fake Tokai? It can't possibly increase the margins much to call it a made in Korea Tokia vs made in Korea "generic manufacturer".

It is a very strange thing (the fakes). I live in a country that turns a blind eye to "knock-off's". I don't just mean guitars either. I guess it's just too costly to deal with. On the other hand we can't buy New MIJ Tokai's here. There are fakes of just about every brand of guitar here, you really get to be informed if you want to buy a used guitar. I suppose it all boils down to money. If there's a buck to be made in this world people will pretty much do anything to grab for it. I'm betting that the 7.6 Billion people we now have on this rock has something to do with it. Greed the other 7/8 th.

One additional question comes to mind...I realize that a MIK Tokai is substandard to a MIJ Tokai but is a MIK fake Tokai likely of similar construction/quality to a real MIK Tokai? ...or is that a big assumption?

Who's to say ?? I've never had enough guitars in total let alone just MIK to have enough expertise. A good guitar is a good guitar. $200-$300 for a mod platform is good i'd say, can you tell what woods it's made of ?? That might make me think a guitar is worth more at least to me.

Latest posts

Back