Is this Les Paul Junior copy a Japanese Tokai? (w/pictures)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slidincharlie

Reaction score
Hi all.
I am new here and I thought I might find the info I need on this forum.
I have been offered a used Love Rock Tokai guitar, a Les Paul Junior copy.
It looks great but it is sold online, so I can't check it.
No serial number.
The only 'Made in Japan' mark is stamped on the underside of the bridge.
I have read very good things about electric Tokais, but I guess that Japanese specimens are better than Korean or Chinese ones. Am I right?
From what I've read, a black back plastic cover and a two-screw truss rod cover are Japanese clues, while a headstock that doesn't match the open-book shape (like in my case) is a Chinese clue. So I'd have contrasting clues here...
I want to be sure that this Tokai would be a significant upgrade compared to my Chinese Epiphone Les Paul Jr.
Hope you guys can help me.
TIS,
Carlo

Refin?
I feel this guitar very rare", are you sure it is a Tokai made one?
If a 80s it should have Tokai stamped on turners but it has to be one of the UK made...Maybe a refinished chinese UK one

I gues we need more pics of the guts to tell you more....

luis said:
Refin?
I feel this guitar very rare", are you sure it is a Tokai made one?
If a 80s it should have Tokai stamped on turners but it has to be one of the UK made...Maybe a refinished chinese UK one

I gues we need more pics of the guts to tell you more....

Most of us with basic Photobucket can't see the images. It sucks!

Anybody?
I wonder if this is a Japanese Tokai (as advertised by the seller) or a Chinese one. I already have a Chinese Epiphone LP Junior and wonder if this one might be an improvement over the Epi.
No serial number,
There is a 'Made in Japan' sign below the bridge, but it could be just a Japanese bridge on a Chinese guitar, couldn't it?
Of course I can't try this one because it is sold online.
--Carlo

I wanna know why it does not have a SN on the headstock? That is weird to me.

Also, dimpled headstock. Defiantly Chinese.

25789930758_d5363a0c6c_b.jpg

aroomstudios said:
I wanna know why it does not have a SN on the headstock? That is weird to me.
I see.
Thank you buddy. The guitar looks cool, but if it's Chinese I doubt it sounds significantly better than my Epiphone (which is not a bad guitar, BTW).

aroomstudios said:

FWIW and not referring to the guitar in question, "dimpled headstock" does not mean MIC per se, e.g. ULS80 (UK market) MIJ have "dimpled" headstock.

felixcatus said:
aroomstudios said:

FWIW and not referring to the guitar in question, "dimpled headstock" does not mean MIC per se, e.g. ULS80 (UK market) MIJ have "dimpled" headstock.
Thanks.
Oddly enough this red Tokai does not have neither a s/n nor a 'Made in Xxxxx' stamp anywhere (exception made for the 'Made in Japan' on the underside of the bridge).

Okay, I guess I was wrong about the dimpled headstock. I thought that meant MIC. Did not know there was an exception. For the guitar to have a "made in Japan" stamp of it. All that means is it is newer. From what I know they also switched the trust rod cover at the same time to this:

ub3p3jferllmvlqcjnyp.jpg

Notice 2 screws and not 3 like MIK or MIC.

The one you are talking about has the old cover. So, I do not believe it will say MIJ anywhere on it. But the SN not being there that is a mystery.

kbwakw2rw24reuwqr6mp.jpg

Check this one out. MIK no SN on it:

vqjd3pwb9ey1yyesas1m.jpg

https://reverb.com/item/10119961-tokai-love-rock-made-in-korea

There are a couple of red flags here for me. The lack of serial number, the rounded points of the headstock, the tacky looking finish on the back of the headstock, and the crappy alignment of the tuners (compare all that with felix's photo). It may be the lighting, but the bridge looks chrome and the bottom of the truss rod cover in the only clear photo looks odd - like it's been photoshopped. The point doesn't look right, like it's extending into the nut and casting a weird shadow.

Add the dirt, cracks and general abuse and you have a guitar that I'd want to steer clear of.

I'm with Paladin2019.

Looks like general crap. Giant plastic assed nut, Tokai Japan always uses bone. So many things just not quite right.

I understand. You guys have spotted so many details that I didn't even noticed....
In fact the guitar price keeps on getting lower on reverb.com... and it's still there!

A few years ago I got some of the made in japan Tokai guitars without serial numbers from the factory. Japanese do not always pay attention to it. Now they add certifications to each guitar, but do not always enter serial numbers on them. So I think that the absence of a serial number does not mean that the guitar is not legit.

Back