Tokai LS200 from 2001 ?? Help Serial Number

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brady9

Reaction score
Hey,

I bought a tokai and the seller described it as LS200 from 2001. But it has tokai Pickups inside and that makes me wonder cause I thought they have Better pickups. Please help me if it is a LS200. thank you !!

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1YKJljzeA78ByKB1rSiy6TGYQVsMd99ec

Ok. It looks like it *could* be a 200, but there are a couple of issues. First, it's has some mods. I think the selector switch is new, as are the tuners, truss rod cover, and if it's a 200 then the scratchplate has been fitted aftermarket as well. This sort of thing always muddies the waters.

Second, 200's are supposed to have ebony fretboards. Yours is only a couple of serial numbers away from mine, and mine is jet black whereas yours could be very light ebony or dark rosewood.

It's hard to make out the flame pattern, or see how many pieces the back is made from.

You're going to need to take the covers off the back and take photos of the switch and electronics. If you want to be sure then you will also need to take the pickups off and photograph their undersides and the cavities. Get good shots of all sides of the pickup cavities. The most reliable way to tell if this is really a 200 will be if the top is solid, so we need to see if the centre joint and grain lines match up.

So.. I Opened the neck pickup. Hope Now its Crystal clear:)

Pics are uploaded.

You need to take a picture of the sides of the cavities. A close up of the fretboard wood would also be good.

Here's and example of what i mean.

dqkbc5.jpg

Cheers

But the new Pictures shows that or not?

I can See there is no long tenon. So it's a Korean maybe?

It's a Made In Japan Tokai 100 %.

Your pictures I can see of the pickup cavities are more of a straight down effect. If you can't see what i mean by a side cavity shot by the pic i posted i'm not sure how to get the idea across.

Can you not tell yourself if your fretboard is rosewood or ebony ??

The fretboard is rosewood. I don't know what u mean with cavities but I make a picture like yours. If it's not a 200 whatelse is it ? What do you think of the short tenon?

The tenon is not short. It's medium, which is standard on Japanese guitars. It extends to the end of the fretboard but not into the cavity. It has the same merits as a 'true' long tenon but it's not how Gibson did it in the 50's so people assume it must be inferior. It is still a much, much better joint than you get on most modern Gibsons.

brokentoes said:
MIJ 2001 Tokai LS-70F

The new picture is very bad, but I agree. The centre join on the flamed top clearly doesn't have a matching line within the cavity. If it's not a solid top it can't be an LS200. The brown fretboard just adds to the evidence.

It's an LS70F for sure. Brady, what country are you in and how much did you pay for this guitar? If you paid big money and expected an LS200 then you've been conned.

My uncle paid 720 Euro.. what you think about that price?

Thank you really much for your super fast reply!! :))

Latest posts

Back