Identifying Greco Semihollow

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mith

Reaction score
Hi. I recently acquired a guitar and I was hoping someone around here might be able to tell me a little bit more about it. It doesn't have a serial number underneath either pickup.

thanks for looking

Late 60's, early 70's Matsumoku made. Similar body shape, bound diamond F holes, pickup selector switch, vibrato frame as this Matsumoku Greco Shrike:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/d3/1a/09/d31a0976bbdfafac87e9913fa31a1fd0.jpg

I thought "Shrike"refers to the pickups? The offset ones in a diamond pattern like this guitar

Mith said:
I thought "Shrike"refers to the pickups? The offset ones in a diamond pattern like this guitar

They were known as Boomerang pickups. The body style was Shrike - came with different pickup options, on board EQ electronics, etc.

Thanks, I understand now.

How could I go about finding what pickups are in it?

Mith said:
Thanks, I understand now.

How could I go about finding what pickups are in it?

Hard to say.... I'd question if they are original since they are a mixed pair.
The gold foil neck pickup looks like an old DeArmond or Teisco. You might want to pop them out and have a look on the back of them for any identification info.

I checked the pickups when I got the guitar but they were blank.
It seems that neither of the pickups are are original to the guitar. The bridge pickup seems to come from something called an "Apollo May Queen". The neck may come from an "EJ-1". maybe

Latest posts

Back