Tokai newb needs help. found some love rocks! Advice please!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riffpowers

Reaction score
I'm not that well educated on tokai guitar models, and I'm wondering if you guys can help me choose my next guitar.

I'm after a les paul. My main squeeze is a 1990 gibson les paul custom. I like its slim fast neck and aggressive sound.

I've owned 2 tokai guitars. An MIJ es135, which I thought was an amazing guitar.
I also had a modern love rock, it was an MIJ lp custom style one. I didnlt like this one so much. It was a great quality guitar, but I didn;t get on with the fatter style neck and the warmer, more polite PAF style humbuckers.

Do you guys have any recomendations for the types of love rock guitars I should be keeping my eye out for??

Cheers!!

Pickups can be changed easily enough but you're going to have a hard time if you didn't get on with the fat neck because as far as I'm aware *all* of the MIJ love rocks have always had a fat 50s style neck profile.

Paladin2019 said:
Pickups can be changed easily enough but you're going to have a hard time if you didn't get on with the fat neck because as far as I'm aware *all* of the MIJ love rocks have always had a fat 50s style neck profile.

I own a 90's LS 55 which have a slim 60 type neck

I’ve been offered a few locally .

A 2001 wine red with flame top , don’t know the model number , all original , no scratch plate . Open book headstock .no case.

A 2009 Ls135 in a sort of 58 style violin burst.its seen some action and someone has sanded the finish off the neck and rubbed out the love rock logo.with case . Seymour Duncan aph pickups .open book headstock .

A 2010 tobacco sunburst , possible ls85 or 95. Non open book headstock and has tuners replaced , not sympathetically! Bridge pickup ha sheen replaced, but Original is included in sale . With or without case.

A 2004 ls65 Cherry sunburst . Tuners replaced, pickups replaced with Duncan 59s. With a case . Open book headstock .

All of these guitars are available with an hours drive from home . But I could do with a few pointers about specs of models and your opinions on which of these you’d recommend I’d go for .

I'm after a les paul. My main squeeze is a 1990 gibson les paul custom. I like its slim fast neck and aggressive sound.
The Tokai's with slim necks are, in general, premium models. Those are effectively fast to play, but aren't that agressive. In general, peoples playing mine are referring to the sound as "full of light", "clear" or "with tons of dynamics you can exploit"... no one ever said ti was agressive.

At the other end, Momose is offering more agressive sounding guitars from the go. The neck profile is around the same for the MLSQ1. Whatever, with Tokai or Momose, you will have to change the PU's for reaching your goal.

Latest posts

Back