3 screw tuners - whats the beef?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unsworthk

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post here, i registered as i am now the proud owner of two tokai basses, one full red painted PJ-55 and soon to collect a JB-45 L serial 1964 jazz bass clone.

So... i have been reading a lot of posts about the grading of the JB models and it seems that the JB60 and upward models are favoured mostly down to the amount of screws the tuners have! I even read one comment about how someones E string doesn't hold tune correctly.

I also am aware that there is a tool to tighten the collars on these, used for early Yamaha basses. However I have seen the four screw counterparts andthey seem exactly the same aside from the amount of screws used. Most electric guitars only have one screw so is 4 really necessary that much? And why? Why are these 3 screw variants so inferior?

Hopefully someone can shed some light.

Thanks

Kieran

Not sure how inferior they are compared to 4 screw tuners, but the 4 screw ones were used on the more expensive basses, 60 and up. So when buying a tokai bass people look for the 4 screw ones.. atleast that's what i do.

Oh ok, understood. I guess that way you can determine models with potentially fewer piece bodies and superior hardware etc. Thanks guys

Back