Tokai LS135Q questions...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

higain_guitar

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to this wonderful forum. I have a few questions, if you would be willing to help me.

I just ordered my first Tokai guitar ever (always wanted one, never had the chance).

It is a used Tokai, advertised as the LS135Q model with a violin finish. The guitar has not arrived yet, but from the pictures it looks like the serial number is: 0409059, which I believe makes it a 2004 guitar.

Here are my questions:
1. I read that prior to 2008 the LS135Q guitars were meant to be very similar to Gibson R8 specs, is that right?
2. Does that mean the neck of this Tokai will be fat like an R8?
3. The current LS135Q guitar specs seem to indicate short tenons, but are the 2004 LS135Q long tenons?
4. Is the finish nitro?
5. Finally, I know Tokai is famous for quality and consistency, but how do these 2004 guitars compare in terms of quality to the older and new Tokai guitars?

Btw, here is the link where I bought the guitar from, with pictures:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokai-LS13...ric-guitar-HSC-Now-on-Sale-Used/142588631341?

Thanks so much for your help,
HG

1) Gibson R9 specs, the neck is shaped like a 59 not a 58
2) Not hugely fat like a 58, more like a 59
3) Every made in Japan Tokai has a "long" neck tenon, in other words the tenon extends into the neck pickup cavity, unlike a short neck tenon which ends about 1.5 inches before the neck pickup cavity.
If a LS135Q from 2004 was a Premium Series model then it's long neck tenon will be slightly longer than a current 2017 Vintage Series LC135Q long neck tenon.
Don't be confused, as long as a neck tenon extends into the neck pickup cavity it can be called "long".
4) If it's a Premium Series 2004 model then it's nitro.
5) Made in the same factory, still owned by the same family that opened the factory in 1947, quality has never changed.
The most consistent quality controlled guitars I've ever seen from any current brand, and I've seen and played/examined all the current big brands.

Hi Diamond,

Thanks so much for your help.

Three last questions, if you'd be so kind:
1. I assume, its nickel hardware and no weight relief of any kind, right? (no swiss cheese holes...)
2. Is it African mahogany, or some other kind of mahogany?
3. How would you describe the PAF-Vintage MK2 pickups? Like Gibson classic 57s? Or perhaps like Duncan APH-1s?

Thanks again,
HG

1) Yes nickle hardware. All Tokais have solid bodies, no weight relief or chambering.
2) African mahogany
3) As far as I know something like G 57s.

Back