Help identifying LS model gold top p-90 tokai from 2010

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aroomstudios

Reaction score
I know this is a LS-? from 2010 MIJ. I do not know what model. It says Made in Japan on the back of the headstock so I am not confusing this with a 1981 SN. It looks like it has Orange drop caps see pics below. It has a three piece back see pics below. It is almost one piece in the middle and one piece on either end about 2 inches from the edge. Making it a three piece back. It has a 18 degree head stock (exactly like my 1981 LS-80). It says LP-Old on the back of the pickups (I can takes pics of this if needed). From what I remember it says nothing in the neck or bridge PU cavity. I just had the guitar set up so I do not want to pull the pickups (which were replace with Duncan's by me a few months ago). I have the original pickups and can take a picture of the backs if needed. It does NOT have fret-edge-binding (can take pics if needed). I have posted a few pics below. If you guys need more please let me know what of and I can take them. Thanks for your help.

Here is a page with info on the 2010 guitars.

http://www.piller.at/music/tokai/Tokai_Catalogue_2010.pdf

25qar1v.jpg

dbt93o.jpg

10p20dy.jpg

10rjtpc.jpg

aroomstudios said:
Are those Orange Drop caps in my guitar? and if so did they put those in the LS-95S?

Yep, orange drop caps and CTS pots too. Might be worth checking the switch and jack socket to see if they're switchcraft models.

I don't think these electronics are standard in the mid range models (and I note that the volume and tone pots are different from each other) but if they are a mod it looks a very professional job.

Both the 1/4" jack and 3 way switch are Switchcraft. Here is also a pic of the top coming though the cutaway on the top side of the guitar. Not sure if this is anything different between models but here it is anyways.

Also, a pic of the original pickups.

I just found this on reverb. The HLS series custom orders.

https://reverb.com/item/6767714-tokai-hls-160-2010-cherry-sunburst

The one above is two piece back. It has Switchcraft parts like mine does and the cts pots. I wonder if mine is a HLS-165S???

DSC_4354.jpg

DSC_4359.jpg

DSC_4361.jpg

20171016_074809.jpg

20171016_074839.jpg

aroomstudios said:
I wonder if mine is a HLS-165S???

With the multi-piece back and no fret edge binding I doubt it. I think yours is most likely an LS95S that has had a professional electronics upgrade. Look on google images for Tokais that come stock with OD/CTS - your electronics look noticeably different.

The best way to tell would be to look for writing in the pickup cavities. :oops:

I pulled the PU there is nothing written behind them. I pulled one of the tuners and dabbed a qtip with acetone and nothing came of. So, it is defiantly a Poly finish. So, I would say you are right it is a LS-95S with upgraded electronics.

What is the actual difference between the 95 and the 160? Besides the one piece back and nitro finish? If that is the only difference we are talking about than there is less than a 1% difference in tone. Tokai does the multi piece guitars right so the tone lose is almost nothing compared to a one piece back. It has a Faber locking ABR-1 bridge 3 string titanium 3 brass like all my other LS-80's from 78'-81'. Also, the Duncan PU. I only paid about $700 USD for it so it is still under what a 2010 ls-95s costs. Anyone have an opinion on the 95 vs the 160 in 2010?

aroomstudios said:
I pulled the PU there is nothing written behind them. I pulled one of the tuners and dabbed a qtip with acetone and nothing came of. So, it is defiantly a Poly finish. So, I would say you are right it is a LS-95S with upgraded electronics.

What is the actual difference between the 95 and the 160? Besides the one piece back and nitro finish? If that is the only difference we are talking about than there is less than a 1% difference in tone. Tokai does the multi piece guitars right so the tone lose is almost nothing compared to a one piece back. It has a Faber locking ABR-1 bridge 3 string titanium 3 brass like all my other LS-80's from 78'-81'. Also, the Duncan PU. I only paid about $700 USD for it so it is still under what a 2010 ls-95s costs. Anyone have an opinion on the 95 vs the 160 in 2010?

There's also fret edge binding, but apart from that the main differences are in the hardware and electronics, which are easily upgraded aftermarket. The finish is probably the biggest single factor in the price difference.

Mods and upgrades can often be desirable, as in your case, but they tend to devalue used guitars due to the inherent uncertainties they introduce (e.g. quality of workmanship).

Thanks for that. Is there fret edge binding on 2010+ 160's?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokai-Love-Rock-LS-160-2012-Made-in-Japan-/222631848544?hash=item33d5e46a60:g:t7gAAOSwPe9Zqk0p

All the other 160's I have seen (on Ebay and Reverb) 2010, 2012, 2014 do not have fret edge binding. I think the older 160's had them. My LS-80's from 1981 has then.

aroomstudios said:
Thanks for that. Is there fret edge binding on 2010+ 160's?

No idea, now that you mention it. It's one of those features that seems to come and go. My LS200 from '01 doesn't have it either.

You could check for a long neck tenon but I'm not sure how easy that would be in a p90 cavity; but personally I think your acetone test was a slam dunk. No nitro = not premium series.

Latest posts

Back