Tokai stomp boxes

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peter,

Theres a Tokai compressor on eBay now. Its in the UK, so shipping may make it expensive, but here it is anyway:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=859151509

James

tc0-1 compressor for sale on uk ebay at the moment

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zybernut on 2002-04-16 14:45 ]</font>

Hi barry,
Thanks for the tip.
I sent this guy an email but got a return saying it could not be reached.
If you can organise it for me, I will send you the money via Money order immediately.

regards
Peter

Just got a TMD-1 MetalDriver (black metal box version). Haven't had a chance to really crank it through my amp, but sounds pretty good at low volume. Does seem to suck a bit of high end from your tone when switched off though (I guess its to be expected as its not true-bypass). As to sounding like a Tube Screamer, I've got to admit to never having used one so not sure there (the op-amp is not identical to the JRC4558 that the TS808/9 used - it says IR94558 and SHARP on it, so who knows?).

Michael - are you using yours on a clean amp or using it to push a crunchy amp a bit further?

James

James,

At the moment I'm using it on the clean channel of my Peavey Classic 30. The tone controls are very efficient so be sure to try out different settings. It's definitely better than the tube screamer I used to have. Using it together with the TCO-1 compressor I get a really singing tone with great sustain. I will experiment using it on the overdrive channel of my amp as well, I haven't had time to do that yet. I will now get rid of my Boss DS-2 and Korg programmable classic overdrive. I find the Tokai TMD, TOD and TDS overdrive/distortions so good I don't need any other distortions any more. They also sound good together with my old Peavey Bandit 65 transistor amp. I mostly use my Tokai strat or Fender USA/Squier Japan frankenstrat, both have SD Little '59 humbuckers in the bridge position and single coils mid/neck.

Michael

Theres a Tokai compressor for sale at loot.com - only ?10. The contact details won't be available from the site until tomorrow though. The map says its over by Southend.

Michael, a chance to replace your TDL-1:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=868582988

Its an early silver box version.

Everyone else, why not start your collection with a nice TMD-1:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=867853510

James :smile:

I recommend the TMD-1 for anyone who wants a good overdrive. If you like the tube screamers get this one, it can even sound exactly like Tokai's own TOD overdrive.

Michael

I just swapped a Boss super phaser for an old Metal Driver my friend had. He will be bringing it round this weekend, still in the original box. I was with him on the rainey day way back in the early 80's when he got it from Allen Gordens in Leytonstone(if my memory serves me well)
We tried it with a strat through a marshall head, I sat and played while my freind twiddled the dials. He was after Gary Moores "Corridoors of Power" era sound.

Just a note....
I would like to extend my thanks to LondonBarry for his help in the purchase of a TCO-1 for my pedalboard.
It works great and really complements my other Tokai pedals that I have now taken out of storage.
I hope you got the return letter, Barry

best regards
Peter Mac :lol:

A couple of days ago I found a Tokai TDL-1 delay at a local music store. This is a great delay, a lot better than I remembered from the 80's. I traded mine for a digital Yamaha multi effects processor in 1990, what a mistake! The delay is like new and cost less than $50US! Now I only have to find a TFL-1 flanger to complete the collection :) .

Mike

Michael,a warning only:hurry up because Tokai effects are growing in price
a lot too. :cry:

I know Luis, I've actually paid too much for a couple of the Tokai boxes, but to me they were worth it. I have all of them except for the flanger now which I will try to find. I never knew how good the Tokai effects were in the 80's, I only bought the delay (which was very expensive in Sweden back then). I mostly used an Ibanez effect with compressor/tubescreamer and chorus in one box at that time.

Here's my collection:

TDS-1 Distortion (one gray and one black)
TOD-2 Overdrive
TMD-1 Metaldriver
TMD-2 Metaldriver
TDL-1 Delay
TCH-1 Chorus
TPH-1 Phaser
TXC-1 Exciter
TCO-1 Compressor

Mike

Back