Teach me!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Malloy

Reaction score
I know ALL about Greco and I own tons but it was actually Tokai that exposed me to Japanese copies that was better than the original and it was tokai that offered me an endorsement a few years ago which i turned down because they cannot import what I want into the usa. So what are the ones to get? Is it like Greco where 80-82 is best and anything 80's is good? What are the best deals? What's crap?

LP's

vintage: 1978-1982 ls 80 and above.
modern: ls-320 late 90s to early 2000s
current: special order hls high end models, special runs and hand select series.

these are all models which i have owned and played, cant comment on the top end current production model ls-360 and 420 as i have not had one...

I have two 1981 ls-80's. One Burny 1978 FLC-85BL I was told this was made by Tokai with the Burny name on it. These three guitars are very good. Much better than Gibsons. I also have a 2010 LS Tokai. I have no idea what model it is. It is comparable to a Gibson of the time but is not near as good as the 1981 LS-80's. I only have this because it has p90's and I could not find a vintage one at the time I purchased it. I only use it for specific stuff so it is fine and I will probably not replace this with a vintage one in the future.

Depending on what you want the Tokai for (recording or live) the only difference I see in the LS-80 and up is finish and pickups. From what I know a 1978-1982 LS-80 will have the same sound as a LS-200 and anything in between. Only exception is the pickups and finish. You will pay a lot more for a LS-100 and even more for a LS-120. I do not even want to know what a LS-150 or LS-200 costs. I think the Tokai pickups suck (ls-100 and above have Dimarzio PU's but you can buy a LS-80 and put other PU's in for less). All my guitars have aftermarket PU in them. Even the 2010. Bottom line in my opinion the wood of the Tokais kills that of a Gibson. The Gibson depending on what is it probably has better pickups/electronics but this is easily replaced.

There are a lot of fake Tokai LS-80 and above for sale on Ebay and Reverb. So, do you research before you buy. People try and take Tokai Chinese guitars and say they are vintage MIJ LS-80's and so on.

Stay away from anything below a LS-80. Like a LS-50 or LS-60. This applies to late 70's early 80's. Tokai changed their models after that. A 81' LS-80 compares to a never LS-320 or so. I am not sure exactly what compares to what but you get my idea. I have heard after the lawsuit when they changed the "les paul reborn" to "love rock" the rest of the guitar remained the same until at least 81' maybe 82' but not sure about 82' and above.

I would say get a 78'-81' LS-80 then change the pickups and you will be good.

Why not import a current 2017 LS183 direct from Japan?

The LS183 is Premium Series, which you don't really need, current Vintage Series LS128F or LC132 models are excellent.

Diamond said:
Why not import a current 2017 LS183 direct from Japan?

The LS183 is Premium Series, which you don't really need, current Vintage Series LS128F or LC132 models are excellent.

I agree on this!
I have now two ls122/128
one from 2016 other from 2015. Both great guitars.
I also briefly owned an LS360 which was a magnificient guitar, but in my opinion not worth the extra money.
Allthough it doesn't officially apply, my vintage series are also long tenon.
I actually enjoy new guitars, all the marks/scuffs and dings/dongs are then mine :)

Mitch Malloy said:
I know ALL about Greco and I own tons but it was actually Tokai that exposed me to Japanese copies that was better than the original and it was tokai that offered me an endorsement a few years ago which i turned down because they cannot import what I want into the usa. So what are the ones to get? Is it like Greco where 80-82 is best and anything 80's is good? What are the best deals? What's crap?

Japanese copies covers a lot of territory.
Are you looking for Les Paul copy info, or anyhing that is a copy of a well known USA made guitar (V, Explorer, Firebird, Strat, Tele, etc.) from back in the day?

FIrst LS320 I know of was made in 1996 by Kunishi Furuhashi. and it has hand made features I talked with him some time ago and he confirmed it, and gave me some info about that guitar I own. Really good guitar!

Regarding getting a LS Below 80 model, I can say I had a 1981 LS50 as my gigging guitar vey ligth and it was worth enough.Not such a deep bass sound as LS80 and the difference was there but not so highly noticiable. I kept LS80 being a superior guitar but for a professional/continuous use finding a good sounding and ligth LS50/60 is enough.

Back