Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

History of Tokai ES Series guitars?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pongotux
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: History of Tokai ES Series guitars? Reply with quote

Can anyone educate me on the Tokai ES (MIJ) series of guitars?

In particular:

- What year were they first made (1981?)
- For how long were they made in the 1980s? I see 1981 and 1982 ES100s on the internet, but I don't seem to see any for any other years in the 1980s. Was production stopped?
- If production was stopped in the 80s, when did it begin again? I do see 1990s ES90s for sale, but there don't seem to be many. Were there only very few imported into Europe in the 1990s?
- What are the differences between the 1980s, 1990s and 2000s-era guitars in terms of finish, hardware, woods used, etc?

I have tried researching the above online, but can't seem to find very much information, and the ES-series guitars only rarely seem to have even been included in the Tokai catalogues!

It would be really good if this thread could become some kind of repository for all the information people hold on the Tokai ES guitars.....

Last edited by pongotux on Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:57 am; edited 1 time in total
duff
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen 2 es-100's with an '80 serial, so first year is 1980.
In the 84 catalogue they are called TES.
pongotux
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That's useful to know. I guess there can't be many of those 84 TES in Europe, because I've never seen any for sale.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: