Aftermarket Pickups for Jazz Sound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdv

Reaction score
Hi
I just recently purchased a lovely mid 80s Jazz Sound. It plays beautifully. The pickups are good but I have a hunch that a different set might enhance the bass further.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience putting different pickup sets in a Jazz Sound? Were they much of a step up from the originals?

Many thanks

pdv said:
Hi
I just recently purchased a lovely mid 80s Jazz Sound. It plays beautifully. The pickups are good but I have a hunch that a different set might enhance the bass further.
Just wondering if anyone has any experience putting different pickup sets in a Jazz Sound? Were they much of a step up from the originals?

Many thanks

Hey, I have a 83-84 Jazz Sound and I love the sound of it's original pickups. They record super well and they remind me a lot of my former original 60s Fender Jazz Bass sound. The only pickups I would consider to try on my Tokai are Lollars. Or maybe the Lindy Fralins.

Thanks a million! Great info. There is a set of Lindy Fralins for sale locally for €100. Would you reckon they are worth it? Would they be much of an upgrade?

Thanks!

pdv said:
Thanks a million! Great info. There is a set of Lindy Fralins for sale locally for €100. Would you reckon they are worth it? Would they be much of an upgrade?

Thanks!

Fralins are great pickups, no question here. They probably change the sound a bit but both - the original and Fralins are great! Fralins sound pretty Fenderish.

Excellent. I'll listen to some samples and see. As you said the stock pickups are great as they are. Might be no need for a change.

Thanks for your help!

Back