Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacement Tone pots for 2008 es130

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prudd
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:26 am    Post subject: Replacement Tone pots for 2008 es130 Reply with quote

Hi all,

I need to replace the tone pots on a 2008 es130, want the best quality I can get, any suggestions, do I have to be carefull about the diameter of the shaft?
I'm in the UK.

Thanks
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTS pots are considered the standard for high quality guitar pots. I would advise replacing all of your pots rather than just the tone controls for the simple reason that different makes and models of pot feel different - different torque, different smoothness, different taper. Personally I'd want consistency.

You would have to check the diameter of the holes, but CTS make pots with metric shafts these days so it should just be a case of ordering the right version. This would also mean you could re-use your current knobs instead of buying new.

What issues are you having with the current pots? You may be able to sort things out without resorting to replacements.
dombat
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTS, as well as any potentiometer manufacturer has several lines of products, quality wyse.
They have very good quality products, as well as quite low end ones.
Considering Tokai guitars, I'd recommend japanese Alpha pots, which do not have to be shy against CTS ones.
prudd
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paladin2019 wrote:
CTS pots are considered the standard for high quality guitar pots. I would advise replacing all of your pots rather than just the tone controls for the simple reason that different makes and models of pot feel different - different torque, different smoothness, different taper. Personally I'd want consistency.

You would have to check the diameter of the holes, but CTS make pots with metric shafts these days so it should just be a case of ordering the right version. This would also mean you could re-use your current knobs instead of buying new.

What issues are you having with the current pots? You may be able to sort things out without resorting to replacements.

thanks for your help, one of the pots has just stopped working , no crackle, doesnt seem to be affecting the rest of the electrics at all.
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prudd wrote:

thanks for your help, one of the pots has just stopped working , no crackle, doesnt seem to be affecting the rest of the electrics at all.

Not telling you to change your plans but this sounds like a repair job to me rather than a replacement. It may well be a faulty connection rather than a bad pot.
prudd
Guitar God

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paladin2019 wrote:
prudd wrote:

Not telling you to change your plans but this sounds like a repair job to me rather than a replacement. It may well be a faulty connection rather than a bad pot.

Yes, thanks, I think your right, i will look into it, shame that its such a pain getting to the pots on a 335.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: