LS-80 Reborn '79 info please

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it came with gotoh pickups in it... long time ago though, really can't recall. Thinking of hunting for an LS80 again!!

Sonic monkeys in there now - fitted by snakeyhips. Great sound and aged just the right amount.

Hi all,
this is a gorgeous LS-80, with"just the right amount of flame".
Your mate Bryn is incorrect about the nitro finish. Ls-50 and LS-60 of the same year (1979) and later are all poly. The LS-80 and higher models sported Nitro finish.
I have had a fair few LS-80's go through my hands over the last 30 years and overall IMO they are usually better than many of the higher price Models. Remember that LS-100's are LS-80 with DiMarzio pups instead of Goto so we can't include them.
All LS-80's have a solid, 2 piece carved maple top on a 1 piece Mahogany body. The biggest difference between the LS-80 and LS-60 (apart from the lacquer)was the quality of the wood used. Whilst the maple on the LS-60 was Regular grade, LS-80 got A-Grade maple - and sometimes AA. I have personally seen LS-80's with birdseye and light quilt tops. This all changed in 1983 when LS-80's were given flame veneer tops.
So you can be sure when we all tell you that guitar is an absolute Gibson-killer, made at a time when Tokai were at the top of the "food chain" with materials and craftsmanship.

Peter Mac

Thanks for the info Peter - Tokai forum really is a mine of useful information.

Absolutely loving this guitar. One thing that interests me is the inlaid logo on the headstock - did they really spend time doing that on all the models?

Latest posts

Back