LS85Q specs? What electronics?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

math2014

Reaction score
Does anyone know what are the specs on the Tokai LS85Q?

Mostly on electronics, does it have CTS pots and Switchcraft 3way switch?

My switch is acting a bit, so i think some Servisol spray is in due ;) or a new switch... i was just wondering about the electronics.

Furthermore, how would you rate the PAF mkII stock pups vs Seymour Duncan 59/JB ?

They're fairly generic japanese parts, but the pots are full sized.

One man's meat is another's poision, but overall I reckon Duncan quality beats the gotohs.

I have an Es 120 with MK 2 pups and they sound so good my luthier made me promise to sell them to him if I ever made a change. I can't tell you how they sound on a LP. Try the duncans and if you don't like them save them for a rainy day. :D

Electronics(pots,switch) are japanese,someone told here being Nobels brand,at least old ones.Switch sometimes fails but in some cases only and the poits are fair ones I let them and not replacing.About pickups neck one is good,very usable and bridge one is hot(to compensate it with neck position maybe).AS Paladdin says(rightly as ever) Duncans are better,Seth Lover specially.But you can 't beat Tokai price in LS70/80 models.What you get for that price is very difficult to improve......

luis said:
Electronics(pots,switch) are japanese,someone told here being Nobels brand,at least old ones.Switch sometimes fails but in some cases only and the poits are fair ones I let them and not replacing.About pickups neck one is good,very usable and bridge one is hot(to compensate it with neck position maybe).AS Paladdin says(rightly as ever) Duncans are better,Seth Lover specially.But you can 't beat Tokai price in LS70/80 models.What you get for that price is very difficult to improve......

So basically a 59/JB or AlnincoIIpro set wont be much of an improvement on the LS85?

They are an improvement but specially on bridge position,just try them and judge by yourself...... :wink:

luis said:
They are an improvement but specially on bridge position,just try them and judge by yourself...... :wink:

I agree. I was never satisfied with the bridge Gotoh on my 03 LS80, but I think the neck model sounds great, especially clean. In fact, I'm using the Gotoh in the neck at the moment and I have no intention of changing it - and this guitar was loaded with Timbuckers before.

The pots are quite good and I don't think I would change them again. I do prefer the taper of the CTS pots that are in there now, but the Nobels were really close and seemed well made. I would only change them out if they went bad.

Caps are another story: I do not care for the tone of the caps in the lower Japanese LS-models. I changed them out numerous times and finally settled on Orange Drop 715Ps (though I probably wouldn't bother experimenting again now; I would just install a pair of Orange Drops 225Ps, which are readily available, much cheaper and still a significant improvement over the stock caps).

I'm also one of the people who had problems with the switch. A can of contact spray helps, or if it doesn't you can replace it with a Switchcraft for a more permanent solution.

Cheers guys...

I bought a can of servisol to spray on the switch, so basically i remove the switch's control backplate and spray some on it?

Hi Math,

Yep, that'll work - if the switch is the typical LP Switchcraft-style switch. My Burny LP toggle switch is an enclosed type so I had to spray it from the front.

Jim

math2014 said:
So basically a 59/JB or AlnincoIIpro set wont be much of an improvement on the LS85?

That's the trouble with pickups - you never know until you try. :lol:

Most of the aftermarket manufacturers have a no-quibble returns policy for just that reason. FWIW, I use Alnico2 Pros in a love rock and I adore them.

Latest posts

Back