Tokai Acoustic Guitar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pooks Rutherford

Reaction score
I purchased a used Tokai acoustic guitar back in 1982. The guitar was made in Japan and is model #35. Can anyone give me more information about it, what year it was made, etc...

thanks.

Take a look at the 1984 acoustics catalog on the registry and see if theres anything similar to your guitar:

http://www.tokairegistry.com/catalogs.html

The number 35 probably refers to the original selling price (i.e. 35000 Yen). Theres no guitar in the 84 catalog with a 35 number, but keep in mind that prices could have risen since it was made pre-82. Remember, its just guess work really, as not much is known about the acoustics and they don't seem to turn up too often.

James

Thanks for responding to my inquiry, James! I looked at the catalogs and my guitar looks
very much like the Martin guitar on the cover of the 1973 catalog, it's got the gold
tuning pins and the same mother of pearl fret markings. However, my guitar is a
darker color (not blond, like the Martin) and the tortoiseshell plate in front of the
guitar is more rectangular than oval, and of course the Tokai emblem appears on the
head instead of the Martin name.
You wouldn't happen to know if Tokai has catalogs that pre-date 1973. I'm just curious how old my guitar is.

Back