Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tokai Chinese ES 68 vs Japanese?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pongotux
Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Tokai Chinese ES 68 vs Japanese? Reply with quote

I have recently purchased a new Chinese ES 68 (a newer model designation number for the ES 60, so the same guitar) in cherry red.

It's superb. Just a shade over 8 lb, the finish is near-perfect, frets are great, the humbuckers sound perfectly good to me and I can't see myself replacing them, tuners seem solid, even the bridge and tailpiece look like very high quality items. I was expecting to have to replace components here and there, but I honestly don't think there will be any need.

The one slight fly in the ointment is the scarf-jointed neck, and it's one of those quite visible (although of course only at the back of the neck) joins between the 2nd and 3rd fret. Looking at Chinese-built Epiphones and Gretsches in my local shop, though, this looks to be very common, and you have to expect *some* corners to be cut at this price point.

The neck is quite a slim C (probably what people call a 60s profile). I find it pretty comfortable, though.

My other guitars are American Fenders. I can't honestly say that there seems to be a huge gulf in quality between my MIC Tokai and my US Fenders.

So, my question is, apart from perhaps nicer (and of course mahogany) one-piece necks, is there really any big difference in quality between the ES60/ES68 and the Japanese Tokai 335 copies? I guess this is a question to those who own/have owned both.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: