Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Tokai ES158....chuffed to bits!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried wrapping and it's not for me. I loved the way it felt under my hand - a nice smooth continuous line, like a Fender Jazzmaster - but to me it seemed to make the strings feel 'saggy'.

A harder break angle against the bridge is said to be better for sustain etc. as well, a similar argument to toploading vs string thru on a tele or a 14 vs 18 degree angle on the LP headstock. But like anything else... Personal preference!

It's a beautiful ES and the new knobs are a definite improvement
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice choice on the reflectors. It's the little things.
BrianGT
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
Yeah, I wrap my Les Pauls too. I use the Faber locking tailpieces so that I don't have to crank them down against the body - you're right too.... the strings resting on the back of the bridge stresses the posts and I don't think sustain is as good. Read somewhere once that you want to be able to just slide a piece of paper between the strings and the back side edge of the bridge.

That bridge on the LP is a Faber but a Gotoh lightweight tailpiece.
That LP is a replica so it has the original 59 Neck angle which means the bridge sits low on the body and top wrapping it means there is just enough downward string pressure over the saddles to keep it taut but it rings like a bell.
On other LP's I owned I found that the B and E strings rested on the back of the bridge and I didn't like that, no particular reason just didn't seem right from an engineering point of view.
BrianGT
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paladin2019 wrote:
I've tried wrapping and it's not for me. I loved the way it felt under my hand - a nice smooth continuous line, like a Fender Jazzmaster - but to me it seemed to make the strings feel 'saggy'.

A harder break angle against the bridge is said to be better for sustain etc. as well, a similar argument to toploading vs string thru on a tele or a 14 vs 18 degree angle on the LP headstock. But like anything else... Personal preference!

It's a beautiful ES and the new knobs are a definite improvement

I agree it's just a personal choice that's not for everybody.

The LP shown is a replica and has the 59 headstock angle which I love. It allows the bridge to sit low on the body and the pickups to sit just above the rings and I think it looks elegant......some later LP's look like you can walk under the bridge!

It came from a luthier near to yourself...........!
BrianGT
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brokentoes wrote:
Nice choice on the reflectors. It's the little things.

Thanks! I've got them the right way round now!
BrianGT
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flattened the finish with a micromesh sponge and although it removed that plastic look it was smooth enough to polish up with guitar polish and look natural.
In the flesh it actually looks like nitro now.

I can't believe how good this guitar is! It blows away my Gibson Carlton 335 in every way and actually makes the Gibson feel clunky!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: