Sunburst 1983 / 1984 sunburst

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patchel

Reaction score
I just got this last night from EBAY. It is an odd bird. I say so because the stampings for the neck are a great match. BUT it is a maple neck TST-56 and it has all the holes for an 11 hole pickguard. ( The hole is missing for the standard 8 hole pickguard ) It may be the style from the 83 catalog with the tortoise shell pickguard.

Here she is ...
WX1HYU0.jpg

Better Pic, no strings or knobs...
vJVtSDm.jpg

I had to reach deep into my stock of spares, added a final prospec bridge, with the steel block, and a nice set of MIJ knobs I scored off of RINKYA.

eDeO36z.jpg

Nice clean headstock

0rpW1No.jpg

Holy Grail of Pickups if you ask me ...
feKRgts.jpg

Nice Original Control with brass plate ...

jhMdInX.jpg

Neck and Body during cleanup ...
AJruIf1.jpg

dsjeNpM.jpg

Stamps, notice the little nippely lookin things in the holes in the pickup route, thats new to me, I have a few other 83/84/85 bodies withthe same route, but not having the little bumby things ...
BOSGEbp.jpg

GmQ3IsK.jpg

4OpDa1p.jpg

Deluxe Tuners, a must have !
FOVzcP1.jpg

Unfortunately, the neck plate is not legit, in fact, the fender size screws were starting to slip. I left the Fender neck plate on , but used the Tokai screws. Second picture shows real tokai neckplate. I didn'tuse it because it is too rusty, and is not a TST s/n

qKMPmKV.jpg

aIPIp8F.jpg

n089PtX.jpg

And the jack plate with the tiny screws, I only have one other guitar with the ting jack plate screws, I think this may be the way they are supposed to be?

dxbd8YJ.jpg

I think I need to use smaller jpegs next time, feel free to comment, let me know what you think? Am I the only one who likes the made for USA models? My ST 50 and ST 60 sure are nice also ! It seems the TST 56 / 62 have a brighter finish on the hardware, and don't fade as much as the ST series do, there are about the same in every other aspect.

Great photos anyway! I guess I was brought up with the f*nder replica aspect of Tokai being in direct competition to Squire in the early 80's so can't get past the aesthetics of the headstock but they are Tokais so will be an excellent guitar.

Back