Curious about Tokai Model

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gixxalee

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a Tokai les paul that I've had since 08, however I cannot remember the model and I'm curious to find out. It is the custom style, it has a stamped serial number starting 04 and says Made in Japan on the headstock. The pots also say made in japan on them too, I recently had the back off to clean the pots. Under the Bridge pickup there is some writing but it doesnt seem to correspond to any of the models in any of the catalogues. It looks like either 108 or 80L depending which way up you look at it I suppose at a stretch it could be 70s if the hand writing is a bit iffy. Any way take a look at the images and I'd be interested to hear your thoughts

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albu
ms/b503/lee_wright2/IMG_0200_zpsfepyjyvs.jpg

That mark could be a Japanese character and not a number at all. It's a 2004 and it looks sweet !!

Cheers, it's a lovely guitar. I had it professionally setup a couple of years back and the one thing he picked up on straight away was the the high e string didn't line up correctly from the bridge. The guy re cut the saddle to improve this but I was a bit disappointed by that discovery other than that once it was set up properly it plays great.

Any ideas of the model designation LC .......

Can you tell what the top is ?? Maple ?? Mahogany ? Tokai's model numbering system changes with inflation so its very confusing. If i had to take a stab in the dark i'd guess yours was a LC-98. I'm also guessing that since it seems that the scratching away at the paint in the bridge pup chamber was hand done, they were looking to see if the wood was basswood or mahogany. Usually the neck cavity has some bare wood though so it's anyone's guess what's going on there.

I honestly have no idea what that top is. I always assumed it was maple. LC 98 does ring a bell, maybe that's what it was advertised as when I bought it. There's no bare wood under the neck pup I did have a look under there. So just that bit scratched off under the bridge pup. That looks like mahogany to me but I'm no expert at identifying wood. After looking at the catalogue I'm hoping it's not an ALC made of plywood! 😬

Latest posts

Back