Help with vintage Tokai Precision

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We already have an answer from Tokai Japan. They've been really quick. I sent quite a lot of pics and here's their feedback:

As long as I check the pictures, I can say the model is one of our PB series before 1983.
It has 4 screws machine heads, thus it seems PB50/PB60/PB70/PB80.
Color Metallic red is applied for these models, I am afraid it is more than 35 years ago, it is too hard to discern the model.
But I think it is real Tokai.
One concern is that Neck Plate suppose to have Serial No.but I cannot find it out.

Japanese letter express the color, others could be some kind of lot No.
I hope the info helps you.

Best regards
Tokai Gakki

Negative: they don't know the model or year of production
Positive: they admit it's a Tokai

Thanks for your help.

I'm quite happy about it. The truth is that the possibility it was a prototype crossed my mind several times. I couldn't find anything on the internet which was similar. And as I said, it doesn't make sense to make a copy of a copy.

To be honest, the bass sounds spectacular. It really reminds of old Fender PBs. It's probably similar I've ever listened to. Its action is not so spectacular. I think I'm going to shim it to make more playable, as it has a very high action. However, I'm not going to make any mods on it. I want it to stay like this for the eternity. :lol:

As soon as I have some sound tests, I'll return and share them with you.

It's really special this bass of yours. It has a very interesting and curious history. I guess CS stands for Custom Shop. Mine isn't CS. It looks like some sort of experiment. :lol:

By the way, my bass teacher has a 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RB630. We compared them 3 days ago. It has very similar (if not the same) tuning pegs as my Tokai "Precision". Interesting, isn't it?

vaiges said:
It's really special this bass of yours. It has a very interesting and curious history. I guess CS stands for Custom Shop. Mine isn't CS. It looks like some sort of experiment. :lol:
Whoops should have written AS Amber Sunburst.

Hi everyone!

I've just had a few minutes to record something. The sound is pretty raw. Nothing has been added to the real output. It's been recorded through an Apogee Jam into the GarageBand: no compression, no effects, nothing. The tone is half way. I placed a piece of foam near the bridge, as a kind of simple and soft mute. I like it this way: I don't like rounds to ring a lot.

I must admit, as I said before, to my ears, it really nails an old P bass: fat but not muddy, and it has that peculiar "growl" we love so much. Futhermore, the tone really works when you turn it up or down, not like most present basses. Judge for yourselves, and let me know what you think.

I have recorded two very simple takes: one with backing (no bass in backing, just drums, piano and guitar) and one alone.

https://soundcloud.com/vaiges/tokai

Hi again.

MISTERY SOLVED: it's a Suzuki P bass. I found lots of similar Suzukis. The clue was an image on a Wallapop ad. He shows the bottom part of the neck that goes in the neck pocket. This image:

https://cdn.wallapop.com/shnm-portlet/images?pictureId=261670508&pictureSize=W640

So I googled Suzuki Precision Bass and there you are, everything fits: the bullet truss rod, the MADE IN JAPAN logo on the neckplate, the tuners, the bridge, etc.

A Suzuki JB: https://reverb.com/item/1243361-suzuki-electric-bass-1970-s-sunburst-mij

A similar P: http://www.ebay.fr/itm/kiso-suzuki-...vintage-70er/262806556772?hash=item3d307dd064

So it looks like it's from the lawsuit era, late 70s. It doesn't matter to me, I love it, and gonna keep it.

I`m glad that you really like the bass,but someone has clearly and skillfully tried to mislead a buyer by applying a fake Tokai "roadworn" logo.I would still be pretty pissed off. :(

Old thread, but I want to underscore that the response from Tokai was inaccurate and misleading.

Kudos to vaiges for being persistent.

Not sure who the person was who said it was a Tokai?

Would be great if people would sign their names when making such a proclamation representing an entire organization, really muddies the water IMHO...

Back