SE800J questions

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m0b1liz3

Reaction score
I've got a 1981 SE800J.

This model seems weird to me. Supposedly 60s style strat with Jeff Beck mods that he had at the time. But it is an 8 hole pickguard which I thought was 50s.

I read somewhere that the pickups are all the same (ie. no reverse wound middle). I hate the black pickguard on white body and was thinking of selling the pickguard with pickups. Then I ended up getting a 70s sunburst Nav strat body. I was thinking I could make a DIY ilitch noise cancellation setup if the SE800J pickups were all the same as someone suggested. Then could match it up with the sunburst Nav body and an aftermarket maple neck.

For the Greco, I was thinking of getting a nice mint green pickguard and drilling holes for a 60s style guard since I think that would suit the guitar more cosmetically. Would I be making a big mistake modifying a vintage super real?

Also, I've read on forums that the higher end Greco strats were the closest knock off of a 60s strat. Has anyone compared one against a high end customshop or vintage strat? Mine plays and sounds good unplugged and I think it will be really good once it has new pickups but I am skeptical about it being in the same league as a vintage strat.

I have owned & played several Greco Strats from SE500 up to SE1000; my favorite thing is the EXCEL pickups

when I find myself getting to the point of seriously considering modifying a guitar that is in an original state then I typically sell it

I don't mind so much modifying a guitar that has come to me already molested :lol:

That is a good point hiro. I agree with being hesitant to modify it. I've had the SE800J up for sale for a month or so with no bites. Didn't advertise it here though.

I think the microswitches and colour combination make that particular model difficult to sell. I don't think the Jeff Beck strats had Excel pickups. They had something else unique to his model. I have had lower model SEs that I didn't think were anything special. The SE800J is lightweight and very resonant. It plays well despite having fret wear and a thinner neck profile than I usually go for.

An alternative would be to set aside the pickguard/pickups and find an 8 hole guard that lines up. That way, no mods. Also, if people here could suggest what a fair price would be for that model I would like to know. I see tons of SE500J and 600Js but rarely see any super real versions.

believe those are SE-1 pups; never played them myself but I assume they are hotter than the EXCELs

price is a tuff one but original condition is a good selling point IMO

Latest posts

Back