Japanese screwdrivers

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jockai

Reaction score
Hi Gang following my last post about the James May prog
he mentioned that Tokai guitars take JIS screwdrivers or
Japanese industry standard , which are slightly different to Phillips
but not much , they are available on ebay but at 30 GBP for a set of 3 i don't think
i could justify buying them , unless i was a luthier , but thought you
might be interested .

I've always hated Phillips screws for anything. Quite possibly the worst of the lot. In Canada we use Robertson's. I also never knew about the JIS screws either.

HI-yes jis' slots are slightly different, so the three main types are phillips, posidrive & jis.
they are also used on japanese cars (though not all of them) and all japanese motorcycles.
cheers yann
ps you can buy them much cheaper-google is your friend

thanks just bought a set of four for 20 GBP
i think i can justify buying them as I've got Tokai , Burney , Ibanez and
Danelectro guitars , i tried a phillips today and they're not quite right so hope they are a good investment as chewed screws are a pain in the arse .
i guess they are just a bit more pointy ..is that right ??

this might also explain when you buy a used TOKAI or Japanese guitar the screws are all screwed !!…..
you live and learn …and Rock !

Jockai, I was amazed by this too as I remember stripping the Trem cavity screws on my Japanese Squier popular in 83. I bought myself a set of screwdrivers in a Discount store in Tokyo when I was over there in the summer ;-)

Latest posts

Back