Greco Les Paul Custom

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxer

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm about to buy a Greco Les Paul Custom Mint Colection from 1984 and i'd like to ask a few questions.
Are there any higher/better models?
Is Custom better than Standard? In my country the prices are very similar and i"m wondering what's the diffrence.
Will this guitar play good with Dimarzio X2N?
Is it true that it's comparable to Gibson Les Paul Custom?

I have a '84 greco custom. There were higher models, and lower models and some artist models. Lower models had rosewood fretboards and screamin' '82 pups. Higher models had ebony fretboards and dry '82 pups. Of course there were also models that weren't in any catalog at all. Is there anything in particular you'd like to know ?? Here's mine. Lovely guitar that i've thrown humbucker sized P90's in.

353711l.jpg

Have you swapped the nut on that one from the stock brass? Looks similar to a John Perry model I have in the same finish from 1984 also.

No, when i bought it from forum member wulfman he kept the Dry82 pups because i couldn't afford them and i swapped the tuners and knobs/tailpiece/bridge/posts etc from an '84 ebony John Sykes model and added some Tonerider Rebel 90 humbucker sized p-90's. I kept the bone nut and black pickguard and electronics except for the caps. Mine originally had all gold hardware.

I'm pretty sure they also made a red version along with the marine blue. I honestly never even knew John Perry played a LP.

Yessir but the tops were flame veneer over maple , or at least mine is. Villager are you letting that one out for a suntan ?? At least get her a towel man !!

brokentoes said:
No, when i bought it from forum member wulfman he kept the Dry82 pups because i couldn't afford them and i swapped the tuners and knobs/tailpiece/bridge/posts etc from an '84 ebony John Sykes model and added some Tonerider Rebel 90 humbucker sized p-90's. I kept the bone nut and black pickguard and electronics except for the caps. Mine originally had all gold hardware.

I'm pretty sure they also made a red version along with the marine blue. I honestly never even knew John Perry played a LP.

Ooops, meant John Sykes not Perry. The MIJ John Perry models are the studio ones not LPC's.

I think that colour must only have been around for the 84 models as yet to see the same colour with somethng other than a 1984 serial and seen quite a few of them. MIne is just a plain maple two piece top and the colour varies between blue or green depending on the light, heavy bugger though.

SDC13279-1_zps348967a4.jpg

IMG_20140315_155257_zpse1a97fe7.jpg

I know that blue isn't to every ones taste, but i love the Greco blue/green. It looks like Gibson's 2017 offering is including a Flame blue model. Mine weighs 9.2 pounds making it my heaviest LP. Here's what it looked like with the gold hardware. Did you change your switchtip out for black ??

33kgoli.jpg

And with my other two. The best of 3 worlds :)

2ui7w5c.jpg

Latest posts

Back