1980 Tokai ST-80

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys,

thanks fellas, all valid points . . . .however
1) I have had necks that have had a '6' or a '5' faked into an '8'
2) in logging 1,000s of Springys over the years, all the genuine '80's Ive seen have an 'A' on both neck stamp and body stamp.
3) This is particularly true in 1980 where ST-60 and ST-80 share the same body wood and electronics - they did need some way of differentiating them.
This particular guitar has an extremely early serial number - like late '79 - yet the body stamps indicate a later build like March 1980.

Apart from everything else, in luthier terms, this is one of the finest Springys I've seen - that body is perfect. It would sound great and get Les Paul type sustain. It may not have the flash of a flat-sawn body but it is sonically superior.

Peter Mac

Peter Mac said:
Hi guys,

I will add this . .
This guitar is an ST-60, not an ST-80.
The lack of 'A' stamp on both body and neck shows it is not an ST-80.
:(

Peter Mac said:
I have had necks that have had a '6' or a '5' faked into an '8'
c
"80" stamp on the neck looks like original

Nitro feels and react different than poly, but I have never had the need to check it.

This is from what I've read on the forums, "you can check for nitro with a little drop of nail varnish remover (acetone) on a Q tip in a pickup cavity. Nitro will be dissolved by the solvent".

felixcatus said:
"you can check for nitro with a little drop of nail varnish remover (acetone) on a Q tip in a pickup cavity. Nitro will be dissolved by the solvent".
I took acetone and here is from Tokai (it left mark on pickup cavity)
6s4dh4.jpg

Then I used it on my black Ibanez JS-100 (not sure about its finish) but here is the result (no marks lefted on body):
25jl25c.jpg

Mark Abbott said:
What does it weigh?

I wondering if there is any correlation between body weight and acoustic tone, which effects amplified tone?

Agreed nice looking guitar in nice shape.

3.56kg
NQlZ2Mr.jpg

Going to change pickups. What you think about BareKnuckles Mother's Milk Singles?
Looks like good pickups.
https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/pickups.php?cat=strats&sub=vintage&pickup=mothers_milk

I was very impressed of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8JjU3QgxqA
so start looking for this sound.

Im not very experienced in changing pickups
Is there a big difference(to say wow!) between stock E-pickups and BK Mother's Milk?
Looks like BK MM outputs is very close to my current pickups output.

I like my current tone but it dont have such a power like at video. I am using Laney VC15-110.
Now I am thinking what to do first: change Laney to Fender Blues Junior Tweed or change pickups?

PS: felixcatus, I'll save original pickups for future. I'll put them in a box and some day they take a place in my strat again =)

rashe said:
Im not very experienced in changing pickups
Is there a big difference(to say wow!) between stock E-pickups and BK Mother's Milk?
Looks like BK MM outputs is very close to my current pickups output.

To my ears those "E"s are among the best (low output / example ) out there, haven't found a set yet that impressed me more (and I've tried a few :-? )

I wouldn't read too much into that video clip. The amp is very bright and there is a lot of reverb.

The mothers milk pickups have enamel wire this makes the pickups sound deeper with less highs and upper mids.

The mothers milk pickups won't have the chime and timbre associated with Knofler, Hendrix and chimey SRV. Listen to live Hendrix videos where he is playing a CBS Strat to get an idea of what the pickups will sound like.

Typically a bright guitar will benefit from enamel wire pickups.

BTW, I have two pickguards with both types of pickups.

Mark

Think about to refret it.
Do you know the original fret sizes? Or can you give an advice about fret choice?
Here is a photo:
67GOon6.jpg

Your luthier will be able to check what is on it and replace with the correct wire.
I recently had the bottom 12 frets done on my 1980 st80 by a local guy and it worked out really well.
And re those pickups, have the refret done (if it needs it) before you switch pickups. The amount of fret meat definitely changes the tone.

But you might find all it really needs is a decent fret dress.

Forgot to say - you will find a huge difference between a small valved combo with a ten inch speaker and the same design with a 12. open backed 12 will give you a lot more fatness.

Hello again,
First of all, I bought a new combo - Fender Blues Junior Tweed with Jensen Speaker. The tone is much better and powerful. Guitar and amp sounding very nice together! At this moment I desided to not change those stock pickups.
Then I took my guitar to luthier to refret it without relacquering. He did it perfect. Playing guitar became much more comfortable, less buzzing, sound is amazing, love it.
Some photos of refretting process: https://yadi.sk/d/R_tQmgv6tsWyB
eU6LruV.jpg

Latest posts

Back