Do I have a Love Rock LS135Q or LS150Q

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first post ever here, so howdy! I’m after your expert information regarding my Love Rock…

A while back I bought what was advertised as a Love Rock LS 135Q in cherry quilt, from 2003, a great instrument that I’m very happy with. Serial number is 0306057. £530 (including a worn-ish SKG hard case). It’s simply a gorgeous creature.

Pity that the previous owner (a professional guitarist / teacher of the tribute pub circuit) treated it like absolute crap, the back edge has monstrous scrapes and damage, big missing chunks of finish broken off (he dropped it on concrete the day he got it) of, a nasty chip in the back of the neck just where I rest my thumb a lot when soloing (12th fret), headstock is battle scarred and there are lots of small annoying little chips on the front just under the binding (which I’ve ‘fixed’ with the missus’s red nail polish). The back has more scratches than a mosquito banquet, a volume know is . Luckily, from the front it looks immaculate.

ANYWAY, since getting into this Tokai Registry business, the info I’m seeing is that 135s have 2 or more piece backs…. But mine has a 1 piece back (I’m 100% sure – I know that Tokai builders are amazing at producing invisible joins but this is 1 piece folks)….

So does this mean that mine is a LS150, according to my web research? I have pics but do not know how to attach them to this post! Could you recognise by the wiring?

The reason I ask is because I want to restore the damaged finish, in order to return this beauty its dignity – and this costs money.

Soooo, lets say I get the finish restored and give it a good set up, do you know how much both models would will it be worth?

I’m not selling but I have 2 other awesome Les Pauls (see signature) . . . Thanks all.

Hello AngusBlackmore.

LS135 were special models with some special features and very rare. Just remember it there it was LS70F (veneer) and then LS200 81 piece back with ebony fretboard). I recall the add with these models Universe guitarshop had on his website saying one piece back to order, I had it somewhere but I am not able to find the ad. So if you have any card or whatever saying the model, you have a limited and rare Tokai LS. Congrats!

Would you post some pics to us so we can enjoy the guitar?

Hola Luis, thanks for your prompt response . . .

. . . I think your theory may be to good to be true . . . sadly I don't have a card or a receipt or any evidence, the seller was an old school rocker hence not one to keep a paper trail for auditing purposes!

I didn't understand all of your message, luckily, I speak spanish, so please feel to resend the message en castellano :). If you could explain how I can post pics I'd be grateful - I didn't understand the instructions on the FAQ page!

library

Here you go Luis, I can't make the pictures appear WITHIN the post, but you should at least view them on Bucket.

With forum members permission I wil answer in spanish, there some things I am not able to explain accuratly in english I am sorry.

Te decía que en 2002 o 2003 no recuerdo exactamente cuando, en la web de la tienda japonesa Guitar Universe pusieron un anuncio dónde se ofrecía la posibilidad de pedir un modelo con el cuerpo de 1 pieza en lugar de los habitual que era 2 piezas. También te decía que lo había guardado ese anuncio pero no lo encuentro por ninguna parte, por eso puedes estar seguro que es un hecho probado ("fact") que existió esa posibilidad de pedir a fábrica algo diferente.

Besides these LS130 there exists a "reliced" model ordered by UK distributor (a first run of 12 and I gues another run of 12 later). These were LS70F mainly with a twist.

Yor guitar could be a predecessor of LS150 series but these have a solid top (flamed or mildly flamed) not quilted, but I would bet the top of yours is not solid but veneer + solid (as LS120 later model, but those had a 2 piece body I guess).

As a note aside you can lift neck pickup and check for a inscription there as far as usually is written the model.

Hope it helps!

Thanks Luis, so if I fully understood what you meant this time, it looks like I have had a custom order, 1 piece back guitar, "a rare find" as you mentioned. Then the Quilt bit adds more mystery to this case!

Also, please let me know if you managed to see the pictures. I'll also look under the neck pickup next time I change strings.

Regardless of tone, are 1 piece back models more expensive than 2 piece backs?

Trawling through the forums today I came across this post from 2008:

"Posted:Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:55 pm

Post subject:

If you are talking about a pre-2008 LS-135, then the guitar is fairly comparable to a Gibson R8. Post-2008, the LS-135 is now called LS-150 as Tokai upped their pricing. These are available in flametops, but they are the next model up, which I THINK are now called LS-165, previously LS-150. They are the lowest LS models that have nitro finishes. The flametop is the lowest LS model in the Tokai line to have a non-veneer top. I have an 07 LS-135 and it plays very nice. I like plaintops though, so I wasn't looking to fork over more cash for one. Compared to Gibson historics, these have a much higher bang for the buck factor, and seem to have better QC consistency."

Do you - or anyone else reading this - think the LS 135, 150 and 165 are exactly the same guitar , and what is the latest 'model' number today in 2016 (e.g. LS 175)?

In addition, do you think I got it for a good price (£530 + pro hard case), even though the back is quite scuffed?

I wonder what it would be worth today if I could get a furniture restorer to fix the cosmetics . . . and at what point a 2003 guitar stops being 'old' (and loses value) and starts being 'vintage' (and increases value), specially with a 1 piece back!

Apologies for so many questions and thanks for your replies Luis. I'm really excited that my humble Tokai is actually comparable to a R8!!!

Price is OK if there are no other issues than aesthetics, you can live with that. I will take it if it plays good and sounds good. I have accees to a good restorer (we exchange knowledge) and I am lucky but refinishing is not cheap, take that in mind. Refinishing would not harm value it would make the guitar easy to resell if needed.

LS135 is not the same guitar than 2005 LS150 I guess, those 150 series have something special other series do no have, they are the most sough after in my opinion and great bang for the buck.

Latest posts

Back