Is this a real Goldstar?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raredesign

Reaction score
Good day,

I am completely new to Tokai's, but have been reading about them and am now highly intrigued.

The price difference between a Springy Sound (ST-80 or ST-100) and a Goldstar Sound is quite vast. I read the quality between the SS and GS are on par, and that it just has to do with the demand for a vintage versus the new. I would imagine the headstock and Fender-ish logo have something to do with that.

Is what I said above true? Are they just as good?
Also, how can I check this serial number to find if it is legitimate?

https://reverb.com/item/471945-tokai-goldstar-stratocaster-mint-natural-japan

According to the photo the SN is: 120761

I have seen Gibson clones though that have valid serial numbers that were cloned as well.

Thanks all.

For one thing I'm pretty sure that's a 2012 model, not from the 90's like they claim. I have one in two tone sunburst that's also 22 frets from the same year, only 400 or so off that serial number. Mine came with a nice tweed case with a Tokai badge on it so if they are fake someones going to a lot of trouble.

Here's mine for comparison. It is fantastic

fasfbt.jpg

24xl5yv.jpg

2utkwwg.jpg

2lm5lp4.jpg

3d8ra.jpg

brokentoes said:
Here's mine for comparison. It is fantastic

That is beautiful!!! Are you saying you only paid $400 for yours? I would be more than happy if I could find one like that!

I won it on an ebay auction for $399 + shipping. So about $475 U.S. from "Rebel Guitars" I just meant the guitar you have listed from Reverb and mine are only 400 off in serial numbers with each other but they are more like 600, my math sucks. That guitar and mine are nearly identical except for the different finishes and the fact that mine has a maple fretboard and the reverb one has rosewood. I doubt they are fakes. Tokai had the Fender Japan contract for producing non export guitars for a few years, but that ended. Safe to say that they didn't forget how to make a great strat. I have no experience with vintage Tokai strat's so i can't make a comparison. Obviously the fender headstock commands more $$ as well as those ST80's and above were nitro finished. I believe mine is a 2012 AST70, a lower model poly finish but i can't say a bad word about it and the shape of the headstock means nothing to me. The MIJ Tokai's are really quite safe bets as the quality is very consistent.

I used the ebay listing photo's from the seller above because i'm a lousy photographer haha

2wgub81.jpg

While I don't doubt they're great guitars. I think the most important difference with the Springys are the pickups. Brokentoes your (BTW great looking) guitar doesn't have "E" pups, I suppose?

In comparison to Goldstars (as to te OPs question), those Springy "E"pups are worth the extra cost to me.

stratman323 over at strat-talk is a wealth of information. He did a ton of comparisons on Tokais with different pickups.

https://www.youtube.com/user/AireSound/videos?shelf_id=1&view=0&sort=dd

According to him on this thread http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/vintage-replacement-strat-pups.158126/

Yeah in '82 Tokai were mainly using Es & Us, later on they used VIs and I think VIIs. The Us were slightly higher output than the Es, & not as thin sounding. I agree that the one thing an '80s Tokai needs to make it even better is slightly warmer pickups, though I can live with Us neck & middle & something a bit fatter in the bridge. I can't live with the Es though, far too bright, & I really can't understand why some people like them.

I've tried loads of different pickups on Tokais, Voodoo ST50 & ST60, Bareknuckle Slowhand, Fender Fat 50s, Texas Specials, but the ones I keep coming back to are the good old Seymour Duncan Vintage Staggered SSL-1s, maybe with an APS-1 Alnico II (a bit softer sounding) in the bridge. Great pickups.

I do have an old set of "U" pups that i bought off a guy for $30 but no, my guitar is not equipped with the old "E" marked pups. I also have a set of excels (Greco) that are quite nice. There are so many incredible pickup winders out there now you can get pickups wound to pretty much whatever tone you are looking for. To be perfectly honest i do enjoy a older guitar because at least in my mind i feel they have been worked in and opened up soundwise, and they were made from older stocks of wood than we have now. It's all about what you want i suppose, i don't like the UK headstocks on the Loverocks at all, but i don't mind Tokai's export Strat and Tele versions. With 22 frets this is a modern strat. there is nothing really vintage about it at all.

raredesign said:
stratman323 over at strat-talk is a wealth of information. He did a ton of comparisons on Tokais with different pickups.
Yeah in '82 Tokai were mainly using Es & Us, later on they used VIs and I think VIIs. The Us were slightly higher output than the Es, & not as thin sounding. I agree that the one thing an '80s Tokai needs to make it even better is slightly warmer pickups, though I can live with Us neck & middle & something a bit fatter in the bridge. I can't live with the Es though, far too bright, & I really can't understand why some people like them.

Most of us here know stratman. I've had (still have) some really nice conversations/discussions with him, he's a ton of information on Tokais and Fender RIs.

On the subject of the "E"s however, we totally differ.

Sound wise I now even put those "E"s above my original infamous '82 Fullerton Red Bobbins! :wink:

felixcatus said:
@raredesign & @brokentoes, what are the neck shapes on these Goldstar Sounds ?

Mine has the modern 9.5 neck radius.

Measurements in picture taken with a cheap mastercraft digital caliper. Neck width is measured at the first fret just below the nut.

ztg8e8.jpg

Well friends, I am now part of the group.

I just purchased this:

https://reverb.com/item/785713-flawless-mij-tokai-goldstar-sound-ast70-with-anodized-pickguard-and-duncan-ssl-1-california-50s-set

raredesign said:
Well friends, I am now part of the group.

I just purchased this:

https://reverb.com/item/785713-flawless-mij-tokai-goldstar-sound-ast70-with-anodized-pickguard-and-duncan-ssl-1-california-50s-set

Glad to have you aboard. :D Congrats.

Back