Fret opinion wanted

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibicus

Reaction score
Hi guys

I own one of these rare Yamano OBGs and some frets have to be changed because of the poor condition.

Got the following options :

1. Change of the damaged frets and trying to keep the fret edge binding.
2. Change all frets for higher frets because the small vintage frets are a pain in the *** for me :lol: If so the FEB has to go.New FEB will kost me a fortune...The guitar is rare but it will never be for sale for personal reasons and so why not optimize the guitar with modern frets and say goodbye to FEB...I don't know :roll:

Why not change all the frets and keep the nibs (feb)? It's not impossible, just a little more work

dombat said:
Why not change all the frets and keep the nibs (feb)? It's not impossible, just a little more work

Not sure if you get a good result when you go for higher frets and keep the nibs from the lower frets.And keeping the nibs is never as good as a new fret edge binding.Small gaps may be visible.

brokentoes said:
Are you sure a good fret level/dressing wouldn't still be an option ??

Hmm I find the vintage frets already to low and a fret levelling makes them even lower.Also some dents are really deep and require lots of dressing.I will discuss with my luthier tomorrow to change only the damaged frets if possible and keeping the nibs.Would like to keep the original condition of the guitar.

Well it looks like a really sweet guitar. I'm actually in the minority because i kinda prefer a guitar without the nibs, it is nice to try to keep a guitar original though. See what your luthier says, some can work magic.

None of those divots look deep I'd be surprised if they're giving you problems with buzzing and would only take a little levelling.

But sounds as if small frets aren't your taste and you don't want to pay some ridiculous amount to keep them so looks like you've already got your answer. Always nice to keep rare guitars stock but unless it's gonna sit in a glass case you might as well refret it with frets you want. I've always thought nibs are overrated rather than a bonus especially when they eventually come away and leave gaps.

Original condition is fine unless it's intended to be played. After awhile, the frets will need to be replaced in order for it to be played properly. It's really your choice if you want to enjoy it for what it's intended for or stick it under the bed. FEB doesn't affect the tone and when the time comes that you do sell it and you have crappy frets, the buyer will want consideration for that.

marcusnieman said:
Original condition is fine unless it's intended to be played. After awhile, the frets will need to be replaced in order for it to be played properly. It's really your choice if you want to enjoy it for what it's intended for or stick it under the bed. FEB doesn't affect the tone and when the time comes that you do sell it and you have crappy frets, the buyer will want consideration for that.

Well I already changed the pickups and tuners and bridge too all for better parts and since my wife bought the guitar for marriage present she will never be for sale (the guitar not the wife :lol: ).The guitar is also as rare as a hen's teeth and plays and sounds beautiful except for the small frets as LP Junior said I do not really like especially as all my other guitars have bigger frets.I will see what a new binding will cost me and decide then what to do.

Just came back from my luthier and his advice is to change 4 or 5 frets with dents in it and save all others.That meand the new frets will be as small as the original ones and the nibs will be saved to keep the fretboard as original as possible.Easiest and cheapest way and I have to live with the small frets as I did the last years :lol:

Latest posts

Back