Hi there! New here and hoping for some info re my LS50 1981

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Middge

Reaction score
Hello all
I've been owning and playing guitars for years now. Never managed to be much good at it though. My Grandson (Ben) is the player, and he has a few nice guitars, including my G&L Tribute 500 recently fully set up by Martyn Booth.
Tokai is something I've never really taken any notice of, until I saw Ben's teacher uses one for all his session work, and he works with some very big artists. I did a bit of research and found a Black LS50, MIJ, 1981, on 'The Bay'. Turned out to very nice; very little wear, neck straight and ok, neck joint ok, frets in good order. The serial no seems genuine (ink stamped) with the number fitting to 1981; 3 piece body and 2 piece top with everything you'd expect from that year.
Here's my question. The pickups are Gotoh. On the back it says; Patent Applied For, Gotoh and it is ink stamped with a 'T'. Are these right for that year? They certainly seem so. Second, and you're all gonna hate this, I was looking to upgrade the instrument. Nothing radical, just cosmetics by replacing all the bits and bobs with gold plated. I'll keep all the original bits so it can be returned to spec. Now, the pickups; how good are they? Could I improve the Blues Sound quality by upgrading them.
You've probably guessed it's my Grandson who will be playing it, hopefully with a band soon.
Be grateful of any info.

I rewired my 1980 LS60 with Bare Knuckle Mules and proper wiring - the original was door bell cable

IMO Massive difference !

Thanks for your replies.
This guitar has been around a bit since I posted. It's been to Martyn Booth, who decided it was a genuine 1981. He likes it and did a basic set up on it at a cost of £30, which shows how little it needed. Nearly lost it when I lent it to my Garndson's guitar teacher. He uses a Tokai for high-profile session work and thinks mine is fab. It's got a few problems in the electrics. One tone control has suddenly stopped working and a volume has anything but a smooth transition from 0 to full volume. It's more like 'flat out on anything after 3'.Trying to get matching pots is impossible, so modern ones have to go in and I'll try to get the others repaired. The bridge rattled so a new Gotoh went on. This was Martyn's recommendation, rather than a more expensive bridge. He also said to leave the pickups in until everything else is sorted as the old Gotohs were very highly regarded and give a pretty accurate 60's sound.
So, the idea of keeping it original has rather gone out of the window, so I've changed all the plastics for Chrome, selector switch for Black and ring for Black/Gold. It looks pretty good and my Grandson prefers it to his PRS.

Pics? Good idea.

Short of time with business at the mo' but I'll have a go at getting something up within a week or so.

Latest posts

Back