Fender Japan / Tokai SRV Stratocaster

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darian

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm hoping to get some information about a Fender Japan SRV style Stratocaster.

It's 100% original and has a vintage Fender spaghetti logo on the headstock and N+6 digit serial number (1993-1994) plus "Made in Japan" at the bottom of the neck in a unique font which I haven't seen on an MIJ strat before.

The most interesting thing is that it has matching factory stamps on the neck pickup cavity and the heel of the neck which seem to be from Tokai.

Can anyone tell me anything further about this guitar?

It's listed on InfiniteGuitars.com:
http://infiniteguitars.com/items/791

Thanks in advance!!

791-144911161059012.jpg

791-144911164032678.jpg

791-144911166786309.jpg

791-144911169390393.jpg

791-144911385132698.jpg

791-144911442650759.jpg

791-144911386627490.jpg

Looks like a Tokai build - Tokai were the main manufacturer for Fender Japan from 1997 to 2007 or 2008 or something.

This must have been from the hazy time before Tokai officially got the Fender contract in 1996/97 and before Fujigen ended Fender Japan production.

There were probably a few companies making them when Fujigen had the contract in the early 90's as Fujigen were starting to concentrate more resources on Orville set neck production.

The shot of the neck pocket in your photos shows a detail that I have only ever seen on Tokai made Strats/Teles, so I think the body at least was made by Tokai.

It isn't the full blown SRV reissue because the bridge isn't upside down, and the slab board is not done 62 style with the truss adjustment screw hole partly drilled into the rosewood. But to be honest who would want a Strat tremolo upside down - there can be only one - Stevie!

That MIJ font is what they used to look like I think - the post 2008 ones now have MIJ in a kind of block letter font, and we had CIJ in a similar font to this guitar through approx 1996-2007.

JVsearch said:
Looks like a Tokai build - Tokai were the main manufacturer for Fender Japan from 1997 to 2007 or 2008 or something.

This must have been from the hazy time before Tokai officially got the Fender contract in 1996/97 and before Fujigen ended Fender Japan production.

There were probably a few companies making them when Fujigen had the contract in the early 90's as Fujigen were starting to concentrate more resources on Orville set neck production.

The shot of the neck pocket in your photos shows a detail that I have only ever seen on Tokai made Strats/Teles, so I think the body at least was made by Tokai.

It isn't the full blown SRV reissue because the bridge isn't upside down, and the slab board is not done 62 style with the truss adjustment screw hole partly drilled into the rosewood. But to be honest who would want a Strat tremolo upside down - there can be only one - Stevie!

That MIJ font is what they used to look like I think - the post 2008 ones now have MIJ in a kind of block letter font, and we had CIJ in a similar font to this guitar through approx 1996-2007.

Thanks JVsearch! That's really helpful. It appears to have Tokai written all over it (not literally). It's an incredible guitar which trumps all 10+ of my Tokai and MIJ, USA Fender Vintage reissue strats, so I had to know more.

...and you're right about the upside down trem too!

Darian said:
It's an incredible guitar which trumps all 10+ of my Tokai and MIJ, USA Fender Vintage reissue strats, so I had to know more.
I may not be 100% correct on all the details, but in my own mind I'm convinced you have a Tokai made Fender Japan SRV Reissue.

Looks great, and my favourite look for a Strat - 3TS with rosewood board.

Darian said:
...and you're right about the upside down trem too!
I'm sure most people could get used to the upside down trem, but it becomes a bit problematic if you have other Strats and you use tremolo a lot.

Latest posts

Back