Identity of MIJ Love Rock: Possible trade situation

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brow

Reaction score
Hi guys.

1st post here so hello.

I've got a mid range MIJ Love Rock that I've replaced the pickups on with Bulldogs and it's 1 of my main guitars for my Rock covers band, so looking to add another into my collection as per my question below.

I may have been offered the below guitar in trade for 1 of my Telecasters and I just wondered if anyone was able to tell me what model it may be and where it sits in the range? From the serial number I believe it to be a 2014/2015 model but other than that I have no idea.

Thanks for any help you're able to offer.

Craig

looks like a nice axe. 2015 by the serial number. Hard to say what model # it could be with just those pictures. Is it a multi-piece or one piece back ?? Sometimes the model # is stamped into one of the pickup cavities. Thats an easy check.

brokentoes said:
looks like a nice axe. 2015 by the serial number. Hard to say what model # it could be with just those pictures. Is it a multi-piece or one piece back ?? Sometimes the model # is stamped into one of the pickup cavities. Thats an easy check.

Thanks for the info.

I did have a pic of the back of the guitar too but it appears to be missing so I'll try and track it down again.

I think it may be a 2 piece back from memory but I'm not 100%

I'm pretty sure i see a seam running along the middle of the back of the guitar to the strap pin. That alone denotes a lower model, not to say its a bad guitar, just that it has lower specs, poly, veneer over maple top etc ... A good tele is hard to beat in my opinion, unless you are looking for a replacement for your #1 love rock to take to shows so as not to worry so much i don't see the point of trading away your tele.

Edit. I just saw that you were considering trading away ONE of your telecasters. I suppose you'll have to judge for yourself how much use you get out of it. Good luck.

brokentoes said:
I'm pretty sure i see a seam running along the middle of the back of the guitar to the strap pin. That alone denotes a lower model, not to say its a bad guitar, just that it has lower specs, poly, veneer over maple top etc ... A good tele is hard to beat in my opinion, unless you are looking for a replacement for your #1 love rock to take to shows so as not to worry so much i don't see the point of trading away your tele.

Edit. I just saw that you were considering trading away ONE of your telecasters. I suppose you'll have to judge for yourself how much use you get out of it. Good luck.

Over the last few years I've gone away from using my Strats and Teles and have really gotten back into my LPs hence my interest in this. My Tele is only worth around the £500 mark so not a super expensive 1.

I have a set of good BKP Mule PAFs going spare also so I'm as much looking for a guitar to put those in as I am another LP for gig use! :lol:

Brow said:
Hi guys.

1st post here so hello.

I've got a mid range MIJ Love Rock that I've replaced the pickups on with Bulldogs and it's 1 of my main guitars for my Rock covers band, so looking to add another into my collection as per my question below.

I may have been offered the below guitar in trade for 1 of my Telecasters and I just wondered if anyone was able to tell me what model it may be and where it sits in the range? From the serial number I believe it to be a 2014/2015 model but other than that I have no idea.

Thanks for any help you're able to offer.

Craig

It is a Tokai Love Rock LS150 or a ULS150. UK retail price is around £1500 used around £950 or so if a minter.

My mistake. I didn't notice the dimple on the head stock. U.K. Tokai model numbering system i'm not familiar with at all.

Cheers guys.

The guy with the Tokai had been told it was a lower model so we were trying to find out for sure before we sorted a deal.

It may mean its out of my reach now though........ :cry:

JVsearch said:
fastfreddy1962 said:
It is a Tokai Love Rock LS150 or a ULS150. UK retail price is around £1500 used around £950 or so if a minter.
A 150 with a two piece body?

I'm with JV, it has a two piece back, looks like a sycamore laminate and unbound fret ends. It's not a 150, it's a mid-level model.

Yes a European ULS150, pretty certain bout that.
Veneer, sycamore? Nope it's most probably a maple cap, mahogany 1 or two piece body etc.

fastfreddy1962 said:
Yes a European ULS150, pretty certain bout that.
Veneer, sycamore? Nope it's most probably a maple cap, mahogany 1 or two piece body etc.
So it's a specific 2015 Euro model that sacrifices a one piece body for a flamey maple top and prices it at the point where the bottom rung of the premium Tokai LS models were a couple of years ago?

With a 2 piece body it is not in the premium series, but the top of the entry level Japan built LS models. I now realise you were not saying it was a premium LS.

Around here "150" has come to be thought of as the first model in the premium series, but I can see that we all have to remember price inflation.

Tokai UK lists the ULS 150 as having a 1 piece back as well as the usual premium features (CTS pots, lightweight tailpiece etc), so I don't think this guitar is one.

http://tokai-guitars.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=39&category_id=14&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=31

An easy indicator would be to have the owner open the control cavity and post a photo of the pots/caps. If he's willing, taking out the neck pickup would allow us to look at the model number and check the grain lines.

Fastfreddy - in future, please keep your insolent private messages to yourself. We are all here trying to help, and some of us (such as, for example, myself and JV) have been doing so for a LOT longer than you.

Wow Paladin get you!
I'm insolent for correcting you? You've been around on here and that makes you what? An expert? You really are full of it aren't you?
I'll say what I said to you privately in public. You are wrong, you cannot know what you are talking about as you have not seen the guitar. You base your whole statement on what, a two piece vs one piece back?
It IS a premium guitar called a ULS150, go check your facts.

fastfreddy1962 said:
You've been around on here and that makes you what? An expert?

Just one of the most senior and experienced members around here, with a particular interest in the MIJ Les Paul models. I make no claims to being an expert, but I can claim to be rarely wrong.

fastfreddy1962 said:
You really are full of it aren't you?
I'll say what I said to you privately in public. You are wrong, you cannot know what you are talking about as you have not seen the guitar. You base your whole statement on what, a two piece vs one piece back?

2 piece back, unbound fret ends, top looks like sycamore, even the owner thinks it was a mid range model until this thread suggested otherwise.

Seniority and experience can lead you down blind alleys.
Anyways by our own admission you say you are not an expert and at least that is progress. I'm not an expert either, I've only ever had one Tokai so my experience of them is very limited.
The only person in this thread that thinks this is a premium Tokai is me because I've seen ULS150 with both one and two piece backs. Never took much notice of the fret edge binding but sycamore, come on Paladin, I'd put good odds on that being a maple cap and not a veneer.
Just admit it, you cannot know and the likeliest scenario is that you are wrong!

I await the outcome of the tests I mentioned earlier, and will publicly apologise if I am wrong. I wonder if you will do the same.

Paladin in what way am I wrong and would need to apologise?
My statements are factually accurate, I have seen with my own yes ULS150's with both one and two piece backs. I have purposely not said that the top is maple, I said it is most likely to be maple which is a measured statement. I clearly said I'd not paid attention to the edge binding and I do not know if premium models such as the ULS150 have the fret edge binding overlapping. I can look at the websites of Frets guitar centre and the little guitar shop who have this model in stock and find out. In fact I've just looked to check and saw guitars that look like a one piece and also very possibly guitars with two pieces.
My issue with you is that you say you are rarely wrong, and that suggests to people who may read the thread that you are an authority on these guitars. They may then choose to believe your opinion, which is as I've argued all along is wrong and based on nothing concrete.
In fact you may also be damaging the chances of the seller making a sale by proffering a defective opinion, ever considered that as a possibility?
I Paladin, have nothing to apologise for! Unless you feel upset by my comments in which case consider this, it was you who said I was insolent to speak to you directly and that I should voice in public what I said privately.

Back