Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Identity of MIJ Love Rock: Possible trade situation
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brow
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Identity of MIJ Love Rock: Possible trade situation Reply with quote

Hi guys.

1st post here so hello.

I've got a mid range MIJ Love Rock that I've replaced the pickups on with Bulldogs and it's 1 of my main guitars for my Rock covers band, so looking to add another into my collection as per my question below.

I may have been offered the below guitar in trade for 1 of my Telecasters and I just wondered if anyone was able to tell me what model it may be and where it sits in the range? From the serial number I believe it to be a 2014/2015 model but other than that I have no idea.

Thanks for any help you're able to offer.

Craig

Last edited by Brow on Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like a nice axe. 2015 by the serial number. Hard to say what model # it could be with just those pictures. Is it a multi-piece or one piece back ?? Sometimes the model # is stamped into one of the pickup cavities. Thats an easy check.
Brow
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brokentoes wrote:
looks like a nice axe. 2015 by the serial number. Hard to say what model # it could be with just those pictures. Is it a multi-piece or one piece back ?? Sometimes the model # is stamped into one of the pickup cavities. Thats an easy check.

Thanks for the info.

I did have a pic of the back of the guitar too but it appears to be missing so I'll try and track it down again.

I think it may be a 2 piece back from memory but I'm not 100%
Brow
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to find a pic of the back if it helps:

brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure i see a seam running along the middle of the back of the guitar to the strap pin. That alone denotes a lower model, not to say its a bad guitar, just that it has lower specs, poly, veneer over maple top etc ... A good tele is hard to beat in my opinion, unless you are looking for a replacement for your #1 love rock to take to shows so as not to worry so much i don't see the point of trading away your tele.

Edit. I just saw that you were considering trading away ONE of your telecasters. I suppose you'll have to judge for yourself how much use you get out of it. Good luck.
Brow
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brokentoes wrote:
I'm pretty sure i see a seam running along the middle of the back of the guitar to the strap pin. That alone denotes a lower model, not to say its a bad guitar, just that it has lower specs, poly, veneer over maple top etc ... A good tele is hard to beat in my opinion, unless you are looking for a replacement for your #1 love rock to take to shows so as not to worry so much i don't see the point of trading away your tele.

Edit. I just saw that you were considering trading away ONE of your telecasters. I suppose you'll have to judge for yourself how much use you get out of it. Good luck.

Over the last few years I've gone away from using my Strats and Teles and have really gotten back into my LPs hence my interest in this. My Tele is only worth around the 500 mark so not a super expensive 1.

I have a set of good BKP Mule PAFs going spare also so I'm as much looking for a guitar to put those in as I am another LP for gig use!
fastfreddy1962
Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Identity of MIJ Love Rock: Possible trade situation Reply with quote

Brow wrote:
Hi guys.

1st post here so hello.

I've got a mid range MIJ Love Rock that I've replaced the pickups on with Bulldogs and it's 1 of my main guitars for my Rock covers band, so looking to add another into my collection as per my question below.

I may have been offered the below guitar in trade for 1 of my Telecasters and I just wondered if anyone was able to tell me what model it may be and where it sits in the range? From the serial number I believe it to be a 2014/2015 model but other than that I have no idea.

Thanks for any help you're able to offer.

Craig

It is a Tokai Love Rock LS150 or a ULS150. UK retail price is around 1500 used around 950 or so if a minter.
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake. I didn't notice the dimple on the head stock. U.K. Tokai model numbering system i'm not familiar with at all.
Brow
Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys.

The guy with the Tokai had been told it was a lower model so we were trying to find out for sure before we sorted a deal.

It may mean its out of my reach now though........
JVsearch
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Identity of MIJ Love Rock: Possible trade situation Reply with quote

fastfreddy1962 wrote:
It is a Tokai Love Rock LS150 or a ULS150. UK retail price is around 1500 used around 950 or so if a minter.

A 150 with a two piece body?
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Identity of MIJ Love Rock: Possible trade situation Reply with quote

JVsearch wrote:
fastfreddy1962 wrote:

A 150 with a two piece body?

I'm with JV, it has a two piece back, looks like a sycamore laminate and unbound fret ends. It's not a 150, it's a mid-level model.
fastfreddy1962
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Identity of MIJ Love Rock: Possible trade situation Reply with quote

Yes a European ULS150, pretty certain bout that.
Veneer, sycamore? Nope it's most probably a maple cap, mahogany 1 or two piece body etc.
JVsearch
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Identity of MIJ Love Rock: Possible trade situation Reply with quote

fastfreddy1962 wrote:
Yes a European ULS150, pretty certain bout that.
Veneer, sycamore? Nope it's most probably a maple cap, mahogany 1 or two piece body etc.

So it's a specific 2015 Euro model that sacrifices a one piece body for a flamey maple top and prices it at the point where the bottom rung of the premium Tokai LS models were a couple of years ago?

With a 2 piece body it is not in the premium series, but the top of the entry level Japan built LS models. I now realise you were not saying it was a premium LS.

Around here "150" has come to be thought of as the first model in the premium series, but I can see that we all have to remember price inflation.
Paladin2019
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokai UK lists the ULS 150 as having a 1 piece back as well as the usual premium features (CTS pots, lightweight tailpiece etc), so I don't think this guitar is one.

http://tokai-guitars.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=39&category_id=14&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=31

An easy indicator would be to have the owner open the control cavity and post a photo of the pots/caps. If he's willing, taking out the neck pickup would allow us to look at the model number and check the grain lines.

Fastfreddy - in future, please keep your insolent private messages to yourself. We are all here trying to help, and some of us (such as, for example, myself and JV) have been doing so for a LOT longer than you.
fastfreddy1962
Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Identity of MIJ Love Rock: Possible trade situation Reply with quote

Wow Paladin get you!
I'm insolent for correcting you? You've been around on here and that makes you what? An expert? You really are full of it aren't you?
I'll say what I said to you privately in public. You are wrong, you cannot know what you are talking about as you have not seen the guitar. You base your whole statement on what, a two piece vs one piece back?
It IS a premium guitar called a ULS150, go check your facts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: