Can you help identify my Tokai LS160?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ollie Lewis

Reaction score
Hi there, I have been looking to purchase a Tokai for quite sometime now. Last year one came into my local guitar shop and I snapped it up straight away. It was sold to me as an LS160 but I have recently noticed that on the receipt it is listed as an LS16FLTD. The shop assures me that the 0 has been left off the 160 to squeeze it onto the receipt but it has got me wondering. I am not aware of an LS16 model, but then again I don't know any LS160's with Seymour Duncan pickups fitted as standard. My guitar also came without a pick guard and has no holes drilled for one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Serial Number: 1329808 (it has made in Japan printed on the back of the neck)

Looks to be a one piece mahogany back with a well matched 2 piece maple top.

Pictures:
[/url]

If it has a one piece back, then it is a LS160. Perhaps the FLTD means flamed limited edition due to the Duncans. Looks like a real nice axe !! Congrats.

It's strange. It looks like it has a veneer top, standard capacitors. I would have thought if it were the flame top LS160, it would have a solid top and orange drop capacitors.

singemonkey said:
It's strange. It looks like it has a veneer top, standard capacitors. I would have thought if it were the flame top LS160, it would have a solid top and orange drop capacitors.
I'm almost too afraid to say anything!

Definitely a veneer, and also a medium tenon. As to the model I have no idea anymore.

DSC_0318_zpszscsq9ne.jpg

The year is pretty certain though, making this the wrong forum to be posting about this guitar. Sorry OP.

Perhaps send a private message to forum member Diamond. He is a dealer for Tokai in S. Africa and will know what's up with your guitar.

Thank you for the responses guys, apologies if it is in the wrong forum, if you could let me know how to move it I will stick it in the right one. Out of interest how can you tell if it has a maple cap or if is just a veneer?

Cheers broken toes, I will send Diamond a message.

Ollie Lewis said:
Thank you for the responses guys, apologies if it is in the wrong forum, if you could let me know how to move it I will stick it in the right one. Out of interest how can you tell if it has a maple cap or if is just a veneer?
If you have a look at the photo from your album that I posted you can see that the join for the solid maple top is not in the same place as the where the flame top joins.

The guitar does have a solid maple top (with an off centre join) but then there is a thin layer of flame veneer laid on top of that which joins right in the centre.

As far as the LP recipe goes - solid mahogany body with a solid maple top (usually 2 piece) then it is as normal by way of how it should sound. The veneer is just cosmetic and does not affect the tone.

As far as moving the thread, I think only the moderator can do it. No big deal.

Back