Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tokai Love Rock 1980 LS 60 or 2014 LS 160?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boscobound
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Diamond"]
jshort wrote:
Lucke Luke wrote:

Woah, is that really what a ls173 would look like? I've read that a 173, last years 160 are on build quality par with a Gibby LP standard. I guess this is not true? Thanks.

Comparing the build quality of a made in Japan Tokai LS160/173 to a LP Standard is like comparing Mayweathers punching power to Mike Tyson.
Tyson is the Tokai.

And there's no comparison between a 1980 Greco Super Real and a Tokai LS173.

The internet sure has a way of COMPLETELY obscuring the truth and the facts.

I'm new to the Japanese LP copies. So when you wrote no comparison between 1980 Greco Super Real and Tokai LS173 what did you mean?
Which one do you feel is better made or has better quality?

Thanks.
wulfman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diamond sells Tokais, and is very passionate (and rightly so) about the quality.

I do not agree that Super Reals are overvalued though. Some great instruments and generally more affordable than vintage Tokais.
jshort
Plucker

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wulfman wrote:
Diamond sells Tokais, and is very passionate (and rightly so) about the quality.

Interesting. I wonder if he could send me in the right direction where to buy one.

I've purchased from Chuya Online before and although it was a good experience, communication was a bit of a problem since I don't speak Japanese. I believe we were communicating with Google Translate which isn't very good.
wulfman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like goldtops here is an LS-173 at Ishibashi. Not too light at 4.4 kg but probably a nice solid axe.
http://store.ishibashi.co.jp/ec/pro/disp/1/03-315959009
villager
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would take any super real from an 850 up over any new tokai up to the models that have fret binding, ie high level, but that's just me, I do love the new top end stuff from tokai and navigator, but theres something about vintage that just does it for me..
singemonkey
Guitar God

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to necropost. But yeah. I have a recent Tokai, and Gibsons.

The comparison is interesting but, in fact, both are compromises to CNC's limitations.

Yes, a top end Tokai should find a more elegant solution to those spots of filler. Totally agreed. But what does Gibson do? Find a way to perfectly route for the inlays?

No. They rounded the corners. It doesn't draw as much attention to itself, but it's totally the same compromise. Tokai gives you the original sharp corners on the inlays, at the expense of the filler spots. Gibson rounds the corners off so that they lose the sharp corners, but don't need filler.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Tokai Guitars All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: