What's this? Bought it as 1979 TE-80

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitzbube

Reaction score
Hey.

Instead of uploading pics in the thread, here's a link to a dropbox folder. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w1p7xzuli5rrhz6/AAAk6u9mBMZkENh7rOJorqqDa?dl=0

I recently bought this lovely guitar. First of all, let me say, that it's a joy to play. I really like it, the body resonates extremely well and the neck is great. However, i'm a bit unsure whether it's really what the seller claimed it to be. He said it was a barn-find te-80 from 1979. He noted that the finish is quite rare, but he had one similar in pristine condition. That one was sold at about 3 times the price i paid for this.

What i'm thinking is, that it's definately a Tokai. The tuners are stamped. The bridge is stamped. It's got the 6 sleds. The neck plate i'm a bit unsure about. Anyone got a clue about these numbers? I can vaguely see traces of a "tokai" decal on the headstock, so i think an earlier owner had it removed.
Also it'a 5-screw pickguard and there are only 5 holes under it. so that's original. :)

The main thing that makes me doubt the claimed year 1979 - is that the body is NOT a 1-piece. It's got a seam down the middle, albeit quite stealthy. I'm pretty sure the 1979 Te-80's were supposed to be 1-piece.

Sellers ebay-profile has been cancelled, i have no idea why. He's done around 100 deals on ebay and has a near 100% feedback.

When i recieved the guitar, it was covered in red paint, that's the reason the finish is how it is. I've spent around 30 hours grinding with fine steel wool - i chose this instead of just refinishing - i had my doubts in the process :D

I've changed the pu's. I recieved it without a neck PU, so that's that. My new toneriders sound wonderful.

Any help is appreciated. whatever this guitar is, i'm gonna keep it - but i'd really like to know if i got what i paid for.

Thanks in advance for reading and possible responding.

Kind regards.
[/url]

Did you do an acetone test to see if the finish is nitro? If it is it looks like a TE-80.

Here's some photos of my TE-80. The font of the stamp at the base of the neck looks similar.

https://picasaweb.google.com/112069871617766987744/TokaiTE80

What looks a bit different is that mine has brass hardware, whereas yours looks nickel-plated?

BrazenPicker said:
Did you do an acetone test to see if the finish is nitro? If it is it looks like a TE-80.

Here's some photos of my TE-80. The font of the stamp at the base of the neck looks similar.

https://picasaweb.google.com/112069871617766987744/TokaiTE80

What looks a bit different is that mine has brass hardware, whereas yours looks nickel-plated?

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Is acetone supposed to dissolve it, if it's nitro? I tried to use nailpolish on the red paint, and it ate it all, as you can see under the pick guard. The finish is very thin too, so i kinda assume it to be nitro.

The bridge is brass, tuners and electronics-cover is nickel.

Also, what number is on your neck plate?

Nice guitar btw! :D

Yes, if it's nitro, a drop of nail polish remover (keep wet tissue ready to wipe it away after 1-2 seconds), will cloud the paint. You can then polish it up again. If it's poly (below TE-80), it will be like water, won't do a thing. You should test the sunburst though, since that's the original paint. And to be sure, also do it with the neck in an inconspicuous spot.

My guitar has been modded of course (Dimarzio in the neck), but I like it this way.

The number on my neckplate reads 0011667.

hi
the A stamp on the neck is a sign it is a te80
the pickups would have a TEA stamp on the bottom if it is a te 80 TEB stamp for a te50/60
the body could be 2 piece ,,, i would not worry about that
the spec of tokai is not always by the book
some time a low end model have high end spec
all the best
otto

muccax said:
hi
the A stamp on the neck is a sign it is a te80
the pickups would have a TEA stamp on the bottom if it is a te 80 TEB stamp for a te50/60
the body could be 2 piece ,,, i would not worry about that
the spec of tokai is not always by the book
some time a low end model have high end spec
all the best
otto

Thank you!

I only have the bridge pickup, but it doesn't have a stamp. but tbh, it could be an unoriginal pickup for all i know.

Glad to hear about the neck stamp and the 2-piece body.

Latest posts

Back