Need help buying a new Tokai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarrista

Reaction score
Hi,

I´m new to Tokai world. I have the oportunity to buy a 1980 Tokai Silver Star and i´m really interested. I would like to know what should i check to make sure it´s a real Tokai, made in Japan.

Many thanks!

If it's a 1980, it will have a model number stamp on the last fret of the fingerboard.

The logo will be spaghetti type, and the serial number will be on the headstock and start with a 0.

Otherwise, it will be a very faithful replica of the 70's strat: 3 bolt neck, large headstock, cast (not pressed) bridge saddles, 3 ply pickguard (sometimes in black), D-shaped tuner casings, etc.

There will be no stamps or markings on the neck plate, and the Pickups will be grey-bottomed and with no ink stamp.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tokai+silver+star+1980&biw=1366&bih=667&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMI1dWz2PnpxwIVwgMaCh39xQNv

Suki said:
If it's a 1980, it will have a model number stamp on the last fret of the fingerboard.

The logo will be spaghetti type, and the serial number will be on the headstock and start with a 0.

Otherwise, it will be a very faithful replica of the 70's strat: 3 bolt neck, large headstock, cast (not pressed) bridge saddles, 3 ply pickguard (sometimes in black), D-shaped tuner casings, etc.

There will be no stamps or markings on the neck plate, and the Pickups will be grey-bottomed and with no ink stamp.

Thank you!! Do you have any other tips? Maybe if i disassemble it, i could check for what is writen in the neck and body, maybe a stamp, signature, number?

I checked the pictures on google images and didnt see any model number stamp on the last fret

Suki said:
7 digit, beginning with 0

I ended up buying it. The serial is 9001430. Is there a way to know the year of production by the serial number? I read somewhere that is impossible to date Fender replicas using the serial number. The seller told me it´s 1980, i don´t know if that´s correct. In the neck it´s writen 36.

Guitarrista said:
Suki said:
1979 SS36

Is it a good year? I´ve heard early 80s is the best

Really? Where did you hear that?

It's not just about the year - it's about the spec of the guitar. The higher the model number (36, 60, etc), the higher the spec - better electronics, hardware, perhaps wood, etc. SS36 is a good guitar but it's a lower spec Silver Star

marcusnieman said:
Guitarrista said:
Suki said:
1979 SS36

It's not just about the year - it's about the spec of the guitar. The higher the model number (36, 60, etc), the higher the spec - better electronics, hardware, perhaps wood, etc. SS36 is a good guitar but it's a lower spec Silver Star

Thanks for your reply, i didn´t know that. I wonder if there is a diference in woods. I changed all the electronics, so that part is covered. The hardware looks the same to me compared to other ss60 i saw on google images. By diferent hardware, you mean quality of materials or specs?

Guitarrista said:
marcusnieman said:
Guitarrista said:
Suki said:
1979 SS36

Thanks for your reply, i didn´t know that. I wonder if there is a diference in woods. I changed all the electronics, so that part is covered. The hardware looks the same to me compared to other ss60 i saw on google images. By diferent hardware, you mean quality of materials or specs?

Tuners, saddles, three bolt or four bolt neck, etc......

Read this thread..... if you scroll down a couple posts from the top, you'll find a chart that breaks down all of the Silverstar models and what's in them:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=153453&sid=e4719f001c7f9418304a2a8882521c70

marcusnieman said:
Guitarrista said:
marcusnieman said:
Guitarrista said:
Suki said:
1979 SS36

Tuners, saddles, three bolt or four bolt neck, etc......

Read this thread..... if you scroll down a couple posts from the top, you'll find a chart that breaks down all of the Silverstar models and what's in them:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=153453&sid=e4719f001c7f9418304a2a8882521c70

There is no info on the chart for the 36, only 38 and up. But i guess it all comes down to color and pickups (the higher end models have 4 bolt and/or schaller and dimarzio). Is this "Castor Arabia" Zen wood (japanese ash)?

Sen (not Zen) is a Japanese wood type similar to Ash and I recall correctly, Castor Arabia is the genetic name for it here in the US.

Latest posts

Back