tokai strat

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks James and Michael for your replies. I'm a bit of an idiot on the computer and I haven't quite got all of the detail down yet.
I'm in Australia and from what I've read different countries recieved different Tokais. James, my one is a 3 tone sunburst. I'm assuming that it is made of alder. The tuners seem to be vintage style with 'Deluxe' written on them. The serial no starts with L but I don't have it here at work with me.

I've thought about changing the bridge system back to its original style but I would have to get a new pick guard as well, as it has been cut to accomodate the Khaler. I also think that some of the wood has been routed out to fit it.

The same goes for the pick ups. The original at the neck has a lovely warm tone and the Bill Lawrence is good too but the Dimazio sounds very ordinary! Unfortunately the body and pick guard have been altered which I suppose affects tone, sustain etc.

I live in rural N.S.W. and I have actually only seen one other Tokai ever. I was so glad when I stumbled upon this site as I had heard only little snippets of info regarding the lawsuit thing and how Tokai were in many cases better than what they were originally copying. Thanks for all the info.

Oh well, there goes my metallic paint theory :smile:
Yeah, its a shame about the Kahler. I'm pretty sure theres a bit of routing involved in installing those, and I guess there will have been some more done to fit the humbucker.
As to whether or not to 'restore' it to more traditional Strat specs, I guess it depends if you're happy with the sound now, particularly whether you want a single coil sound back at the bridge. Maybe take it to a luthier and get an estimate and then see what you think. Regardless, as a first guitar you've picked a good place to start.

James

Oh well, there goes my metallic paint theory :smile:
Yeah, its a shame about the Kahler. I'm pretty sure theres a bit of routing involved in installing those, and I guess there will have been some more done to fit the humbucker.
As to whether or not to 'restore' it to more traditional Strat specs, I guess it depends if you're happy with the sound now, particularly whether you want a single coil sound back at the bridge. Maybe take it to a luthier and get an estimate and then see what you think. Regardless, as a first guitar you've picked a good place to start.

James

Hi mark,
Good to see another Aussie on the site.
I just moved from Sydney to Brisbane a few months ago but will try to help where I can.
The "55" sticker indicates it is a TST55, they cost an extra 5,000yen for Left hand models of TST50's (YSO,GS,BB,MR,OW) or for "Custom" paint ( metallics,greens, blues, your theory is correct James)
TST60's also had the same options til 1986. From memory, all Lefties were only offered in the 5 standard colours - no Custom paint.
With the Kahler though, they do require routing to fit so a standard strat bridge will no longer fit.
I suggest you contact Alan Rigg in Pymble, Sydney and talk to him. This man is a guitar guru. His list of clients is a who's who of Australian talent - Moss, Emmanual Bros, etc. He will be able to do whatever you need and give you no-bull advice on what can't. Let him know I recommended him to you.
Hope this helps
regards
Peter McGovern

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Mac on 2002-04-11 20:29 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Mac on 2002-04-11 20:32 ]</font>

Peter, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I'm in Dubbo and it's not very easy to get to Sydney but I will definately try to get to Pymble next time I'm there. Since I wrote my first message I've been really thinking hard about the benefits of reverting to the original bridge system. I've since read in a book about Strats that their trem system was/is an intrgal part of the guitar's ability to sustain a note. I can't believe how stupid the original owner of the guitar was to interfere with it. I might search for a second hang trem system and see if I can refit it.The routing seems to be inside the body and not near the outside so I might be ok. Would you know if I need to get a special left handed device as I'm not interested in using a trem bar in my playing? Regarding the bridge humbucker I will not mess with it because the neck and Bill Lawrence in the middle have enough for me to change my sound. The B.L. also has a switch for one coil or two. Cheers Mark.

Mark, if it's a lefthanded guitar, get a lefthand unit. Try to find one where the strings do not disappear to far into the sustain block. The should stay a couple of mm's from the end, this will enhance the sustain. Gotoh makes left hand versions, I think Tokai actually used Gotoh's. Also try to find a unit with a steel sustain block as this will also enhance the sustain. The cheaper ones have cast sustain blocks.

Michael

Hi mark,
Alan can be contacted on 0418-463-793. Talk to him first as he can get bits and pieces for you and advise on the pickups, etc.

Stevie Ray and Hendrix both used reversed tremelo units and swore by them. Just an option should a proper lefty not be available.

You can always change the scratchplate and pickup config at any time should you not want to keep the DiMarzio also.

regards
Peter

Thanks for all the advice guys. I have contacted Al Rigg as I was recently in Sydney. He gave me advice about a Gotoh trem, left handed. The block is actually made of brass and the kit is only $30 - $40 more than a right hand kit with a steel block. They don't make a lefty kit with anything other than a brass block. Allan and everybody else I've spoken to since tells me that the brass helps to create a very sweet sound. Alan also said that the routed out area where the Kahler sits can be filled with anything, it won't really affect the sound. All the same, I'm going to glue in a nice piece of hardwood and sand it back. I'm not too fussed about the looks, I'm more interested in getting the sound right. While i was in Sydney I was going to get Allan to order me the part but due to circumstances beyond my control I couldn't but the local music shop in Dubbo can get it for the same cost so it's on it's way.

Pete is there any way I can contact you personally to pick your brains about things?

Latest posts

Back