• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FS: Tokai 1981 LS-120 Love Rock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laundromat

Reaction score
1981 LS-120 Love Rock

tokai%20ls-100_zpsod82sk61.jpg

Pearly Gates-y flame top, thin veneer over two pieces of maple
One piece mahogany body and neck
'59 neck profile (22,6 mm at 1st and 24,5 mm at 12th fret)
Professional refret (Jescar wire) with the previously damaged neck binding replaced with the correct shade Japanese ABS material (http://www.flyingfinnguitars.fi/e_front.html)
New bone nut
Grover tuners
Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups
Upgraded electronics with 50s wiring (Switchcraft, CTS, PIO capacitors)
Weight 4,7 kg (would be around 4,5 with Klusons and aluminum tailpiece)
Non-original hardshell case

sold

http://s1227.photobucket.com/user/Lndrmt/library/LS-100?sort=3&page=1

Ask away!

How about 1600€ including shipping to Europe and equal discount on shipping to the rest of the world?

To be honest I can't be sure. It was sold to me as LS-100 and there was a post-it note on the case with the model number, so I never really questioned it. The sticker on the back of the headstock is gone. So this would be an LS-120 then?

Thanks! I'll change the model to avoid confusion. No price hike, though. :D
On close inspection it's a veneer, since the grain lines don't exactly match.

serial number starts with the same, and never seen a veneer 1981 120 in that colour, and just doesnt look "old" since everything has been changed its very very difficult to prove one way or the other, but my bet would be a later rather than earlier guitar.....i think that a 2010 back was 2 piece but not sure someone will know, ..do you have shots showing the grain around the bottom to show its a 1 piece back? it all helps..

Although I'm thankful for the advice regarding the model number, I think it's very poor form to throw around remarks like that when a guitar like this is being sold.
I will get you all the pictures you need, but I can tell you for a fact that this guitar was not made in 2010.

sorry but for me there is a question to be answered here you are selling it as a 1981 guitar, as yet there is no solid proof of this, do you have the original parts? that would help establish the year, or proof of a 1 piece back?

just trying to establish beyond reasonable doubt what it is you are selling,

if you can show why you know its not 2010 then everything will be clear...
for example if you bought it in 2009 then there we go!!
please prove me wrong it shouldn't be too difficult.. but good pics of the inside routing, cavity walls and the back from the bottom showing the grain would be a big help...

I bought the guitar from a forum member in 2012 and it came without original replaced Schaller tuners, no pickups and rings, with replaced electronics. Backplates, TRC, bridge, tailpiece and pickguard were original.

In this picture from the previous owner in 2012 you can see the reason for the replaced binding and new frets. At this point the fretboard had been planed, removing the nibs and exposing the original whiter shade of the ABS.

12_zpsvk5jn5qd.jpg

Yes, that's the original binding after some poor soul had cut the new fret slots through it. The old binding was removed and replaced here in Finland.

I have a 1981 all-mahogany LS-100 and the original bridge has nickel plated saddles.
And so does this "all original" LS-80 from the same year you have on your site. http://s765.photobucket.com/user/generalunrest2/library/tokai/Tokai%20love%20rock%20LS-80%20chsb%201981?sort=3&page=1

Here's some pictures I took this evening. The lighting was pretty poor, but it should give you the idea. Please see the original hardware, including the pickup switch and strap pins that I forgot to mention. As you can see, it isn't in "new" condition but it's been kept well apart from the poor first attempt at the refret. I tried to capture the veneer as well as I could (never thought I'd have to convince someone that my guitar doesn't have a solid top).

In the first pic you can see the not-so-uncommon dulling of the headstock on these older ones next to a less faded 1980 Reborn Old that arrived this week. Also note the discoloration under the tailpiece and pickup rings that would take quite a while to develop. I also found a wee bit of binding separation that I haven't even noticed before, which can be fixed before the sale.

ls1_zpsehcj5crx.jpg

ls2_zpsvmarbitj.jpg

ls3_zps6bd9xpxu.jpg

ls4_zps09pfdhs9.jpg

ls5_zpspz3gfjtb.jpg

ls6_zpszf16ivcp.jpg

ls7_zpsraf2imsr.jpg

ls8_zpsppy8itbx.jpg

ls9_zpsbbjv4y4h.jpg

ls10_zpsgsiawakp.jpg

ls11_zpsiqzbta6o.jpg

ls12_zpsyusud1te.jpg

ls13_zpsluy0cif8.jpg

ls14_zpsdh8cyoo2.jpg

ls15_zpsejiz8g1u.jpg

ls16_zpsgeapr0hu.jpg

ls17_zpskdamgvs7.jpg

ls18_zpsflvo01nm.jpg

ls19_zps49dpt2lk.jpg

ls20_zpsomm2hsbh.jpg

ls21_zpsnemgs849.jpg

ls22_zpsxfzjnisj.jpg

ls23_zps3u8lm6w0.jpg

ls24_zpss6kmghrv.jpg

sorry my mistake on site should not read all original as the bridge I believe has been changed...pretty sure 81 all had brass saddles, lots have come to me with brass saddles and not so many with nickel..could have been a swop over to nickel sometime in 81 but who knows!!

yes i agree looks much more like an 81 from those pics, in that case you have a very rare colour!! and the 1 piece back seals the deal... 1981 it is!!

Thanks. That's the way I like my cornflakes, with no pee in them. :lol:

Reasonable offers are always welcome, let's talk. Partial trades with old fuzz boxes from 60s or 70s are also possible.

Latest posts

Back