(Very Belated!) NGD '81 LS 60 BS

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattbarlow

Reaction score
I decided to make a NGD post for her after all!
The reason is that I got her back today after a professional setup... and WOW!

The luthier (1st time I deal with him) did very nice job! polished the frets, lowered the nut action (that was something I failed in!), cleaned the jack lowered the action cleared the pegs (which are not in great condition).
After all that... its another guitar... I am more excited than I first received it!
What was really nice surprise was that he told me 4-5 times that I have a magnificent guitar!!! (he builts some guitars himself)

I am thinking about changing the pickups but I have no great experience with PAF style so I am hesitant since I like them enough + If i do change them they have to be double creams !

I am really curious now what a more high end 80's Tokai would feel like... to be honest I have not seen an LS 80 that I like the top and finish more than mine...(In reality the colour / finish is far prettier that in seems in the photos!!)
And the LS150 / LS 200 are far out of my budget atm!

So here it is...

I have posted some photos in various threads but I hope no one will complain!
_MG_1276 by volbu, on Flickr

Tokai LS60-2 by volbu, on Flickr

Tokai LS60-1 by volbu, on Flickr

LC185 - LS60 by volbu, on Flickr

Thanks for sharing. I totally agree with you about the top. Lots of character there and some flame.

No need to upgrade if you are happy with it, just play the hell out of it.

Thanks guys!!
Btw the luthier told me that the tuners are stamped DELUXE but they are not actual DELUXE (got no idea what does that mean!) and are pretty worn on the inside. What would be my choice if I did replace them want obviously the same look and no drilling!

Also he told me the pup rings are too tall! They are DiMarzio I ordered after suggestions, any possibility he is right??

For the rings, as long as the strings clear them as you fret up the neck, it isn't an issue. To me, they're too light for the rest of the guitar. The original rings don't look cracked, I would probably put them back on.

For tuners, Gotoh Kluson look-alikes should be a direct drop-in.

Enjoy. It's a GREAT looking guitar!

Thanks for the reply!
When I got it it had 1 neck ring aged cream (as it should) and one metal ring that is just 3mm tall (way shorter than the neck ring) so....it is either : one aged original and one new more white ---- or two new ones.... I go for the latter atm!

are these the direct drop in???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOTOH-SD90-kluson-3-x-3-tuners-nickel-/120765782412?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1c1e33998c

That's a beaut.

Amazing top for a LS60 - very similar to my recent '79 Reborn NGD which I think is a great top for aa LS80!.

You might be interested in my recommendation for sonic Monkey PAF '61 pickups (above). Sound great to my ears - and tremendous value too.

They would fit but the "collar" is not the same, it seems Gotoh changed specs over the years. Can check for a Tokai stamped one(80s) but not easy to find.

snakeyhips said:
That's a beaut.

Amazing top for a LS60 - very similar to my recent '79 Reborn NGD which I think is a great top for aa LS80!.

You might be interested in my recommendation for sonic Monkey PAF '61 pickups (above). Sound great to my ears - and tremendous value too.

Yours is -i think- the prettiest LS80 I ve seen! (was drooling over mono's pics some time ago!)
You have better photography skills easily! But I guess the colors are pretty close also!

It s possible that I ll order some stuff from GFS.
I was thinking will the http://www.guitarfetish.com/Vintage-Tuneomatic-Style-ABR-1-Bridge_p_830.html fit my LS60?? it says 74mm pole distance

Had to update since I got sheptone tribute PAFs in there... and it became just superb!
I love the sound of the LS now (was falling behind when i installed Sheptone HSP90 in my 07 LC185)...
Now its back on track!

LS 60
here with some amateur photo editing for fun!

I just replaced the tuners on my '81 LS120 with Kluson SD90SLN tuners. I left the original bushings and screws from the Tokai tuners.

Back