help me Identify my Goldstar please

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteg40

Reaction score
I've had this 10-15 years and never really done any research on it.

I bought it as stock, locally, and then changed the pickups to texas specials... i've since changed them back.

I've since done more research and I think its a 1984, from the serial no and logo, but he pickups dont look like they grey bottom ones i'd expect - however they do look a lot like the dimarzios here - http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=113367&sid=64b3448e858d68d26f038d37fafdba1a

Anyway - some photos to assist..

cheers,

pete

1984 st 50.Changed tuners,changed pickguard,changed string tree,not Di Marzios pickups, look more like Fender pickups.Gabe.

Looks like Fender Squier JV pots and pickups which are USA made, M250 code on pots, probably pickguard too, does it have DM30 sticker on the switch? , it may have been changed though

Hi guys,

Looks to be around 1984 TST-55 SO. Pups look like Fender 57RI. due to the wax covering all being the same colouring.

regards
Peter

So, Peter Mac, this particular colour is actually one of the '55' ones? I've always wondered how many special colours were part of that series with the extra '5' in the model name.

I know that many metallic, candy, natural finish etc. were included. This is however the first time I've seen some classic 50's colour been mentioned here. On the other hand, this colour seems rather rare on a Goldie, at least the ones I've seen. So it makes completely sense in that regard.

But as usual, it's always interesting to learn more about these things regarding Tokai. :)

Hi guys,

OK right from the start, Tokai Springys had 5 'Standard colours - OW, BB, GS, YS, MR and a 5,000yen extra Natural finish.
In late 81ish they started to introduce some custom colours - still at the same price but at the end of Springy and the start of Goldstar, the price increased for all custom colours by an extra 5,000yen.
As this is clearly a Goldstar with a custom finish (SO) it must be a '55'

regards
Peter Mac

I'm going to be selling this soon if anyone is interested. I'm in Sheffield UK
UK.

Latest posts

Back