ST-80 with U pups

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.E.M.

Reaction score
St-80 with U pups

Here`s one for the experts, I picked this up last Saturday, it`s a Super Edition Special Series that has an 80 sticker, L serial number and U pickups, the body tests positive for a nitro lacquer finish and the body code read 4=7=B8 (or BB).

The electrics are original ? the bridge has obviously been changed from the original FR type and the locking nut has been removed, there`s some question in my mind as to whether the pickguard is original, don`t know for sure about that but looking at the pickguard holes in the body it seems as though maybe the guard is not original.

Experts, what say you about St 80 with U pups.

Txa9Ee.jpg

gbk9AT.jpg

iLyCYF.jpg

oqMPMP.jpg

5ytCfu.jpg

Hi guys,

furthermore, this is not an ST-80. That sticker looks like it was put there to increase the value. I'll get back to you with a Model and specs.
This would be from 1983 - 1985 build.

Peter Mac

What expense, it was $400 canadian with an aligator thermometer case.

Sticker switched by the dealer when originally sold is possible, I suppose.

http://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-and-amp/tokai/1984/en_05.html Hi Peter.According to the 84 catalogue this guitar with its gold hardware,black pickguard and fitted with Tokais own ET trem is not an st 80 ,it`s an ST100!.

good spotting, except this one has a Fulcrum bridge, not an ET bridge.
The ET bridge runs 6 screws, not 2 and has a large block behind the saddles, not thin like this one. That said, it may have been replaced. The input jack certainly has been. Also the TST-100 ET also had FS-1 pups not 'U'. From memory the Super Editions no longer used the brass mounting plate.
As the Super Editions only ran for a few years, it should not be too hard to find it but again it is not going to be easy considering the changes made to this guitar.
From what I can see, the body is Alder, serial # is from mid 80s and the pups, brass mounting plate and code style correspond with this.
I would certainly like to see a few more pics, mainly the tremelo route, the neck pocket and neck base code. - although on painted necks, it may not be there.

Peter

The bridge is a replacement 100% for sure, the last owner did it. The output jack while it may not look original, it does appear to be, the gold is almost all gone but in person is clearly visible.

The body is alder, must be light because total weight is 7.2 pounds. Looking in the neck pocket there is no center seam so it's either a 1 or 3 pc body.

There's no code on the base of the neck as it's painted black, I'll post the trem cavity and neck pocket pics soon, thank you.

edit; the black one in this link has the same 3 hole locking nut as found on my guitar, it's been removed leaving 3 holes in the face of the headstock.

http://brochures.yokochou.com/guitar-and-amp/tokai/1984/en_05.html

I think this is a super edition limited model nitro finished TST80/100 ET, it has been fitted with Us rather than Di marzios which mayhave been sold on in its history,but that`s what I think it is.Gabe.

Hi ,

New to forum. Purchased super edition sd403 recently and I love it. Nice flat radius on fret board , 22 frets , ssh pups . Plays better than my golstar.

Sanded and refinished Neck as wasn't keen on the all black neck. Found neck stamp on heel under black paint 7=4ABR Code on body 7=4 CRX

Codes match I think?

Here`s another one on E bay right now.has the V pickups which replaced the the Es and the original ET trem. This guitar should be nitro finished too. too.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tokai-Super-Edition-ST-80-Stratocaster-1980s-/262001602410?hash=item3d00832f6a http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tokai-Super-Edition-ST-80-Stratocaster-1980s-/262001602410?hash=item3d00832f6a

Thanks for that link, I've since pulled the bridge and confirmed it's a replacement but that the original was a two point bridge.

Mine's got the 80 sticker, lacquer finish and U pups, pretty sure it's an '84 model.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Old post, but I think it deserves a re-visit.

I don't think the sticker or the pickups were replaced.

This is a "Special Series" Tokai from 1983. It originally had an E.T. bridge trem that someone replaced along the way.

So basically it is a TST80ET. It becomes an 80 because of the added hardware.

I know it is strange, but that is what it is. There are TST70ET examples as well.

And the added "Special Series" thing is a seemingly short lived 1983 designation. Still not sure exactly what that means.

Look here:

"Special Series"

and here:

TST80 ET

and here:

"Extra Tokai" ET

Latest posts

Back