Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tokai LS120 Reborn old 1980 Eu SOLD!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Classifieds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
le juge
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this guitar from 1980 (a great guitar really, I love it) :

"EG800GS: Mahogany one layer body, Maple two piece top, Gold finish, Mahogany one piece neck, Ebony Fingerboard, Hot Lick P-90 type pickups."

I don't know where they were able to find an ebony looking like a rosewood...
Nothing to compare with the ebony fretboard of my '63 Crestwood custom.

Another mistake ? I don't know why they were writing informations like this on their catalogue if it's wrong.

I'll stop it, I forget I'm not an expert because I have not own enough guitars.

I prefer to go and see the real life outside of the catalogues.

Have a nice day guys.

Last edited by le juge on Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
villager
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will stop it too we agree to disagree !!
wulfman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Japan did not sign the CITES treaty until 1980 so whatever Brazilian was imported and hoarded before then must have gone somewhere.
LPjunior
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the fluorescence tests on their suspected woods? It's supposed to be very reliable and easy to do, a utility knife to scrape a minute amount off the board is probably all that's needed along with a blacklight.

May even work by comparing the fluorescence of a water wet swab against an ethanol wet swab of the board for fluorescence, which I think is pretty much what the authorities use these days to test, albiet better solvents and lights. Although considering the CITES regs for the EU you're probably better off not knowing for certain.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplrp/fpl_rp632.pdf
Lumi71
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

board of the guitar of the topic

le juge
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not braz, the shape of the pores is not like that. But great quality of wood, for sure !
Peter Mac
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

this is a fun thread for sure . . so lets get some facts straight.
There are 2 types of Brazilian Rosewood - Old World and New World. (New World is replanted R'wood over 30 yrs ago, Old World trees are 100's of years old)
CITES treaty was signed by USA in 1974, by Japan in 1982. If Brazil did stop exporting Old World BRF in 1968 that explains a few things.
To the best of my research and knowledge NO Tokai built between 1978 and 1986 ever had a Brazilian board regardless of Model - this includes LS-200.
In the late '70s there were still great stocks of Old World Indian and Sth Amer. rosewood available at a much cheaper prices than Braz, that economics dictated using them instead.

Hope these help the discussion

Peter Mac
ibicus
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some months ago I talked to a guy making expertises to legalize guitars with braz board due to the situation in germany regarding cites and brazilian rosewood.He told me that he could never say by looking at detailed pictures if it is braz or not as variations are possible and common.He also said he must have every guitar on his table and sometimes needs a small sample of the wood to be 100% sure what it is.
le juge
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Mac wrote:
Hi guys,

this is a fun thread for sure . . so lets get some facts straight.
There are 2 types of Brazilian Rosewood - Old World and New World. (New World is replanted R'wood over 30 yrs ago, Old World trees are 100's of years old)
CITES treaty was signed by USA in 1974, by Japan in 1982. If Brazil did stop exporting Old World BRF in 1968 that explains a few things.
To the best of my research and knowledge NO Tokai built between 1978 and 1986 ever had a Brazilian board regardless of Model - this includes LS-200.
In the late '70s there were still great stocks of Old World Indian and Sth Amer. rosewood available at a much cheaper prices than Braz, that economics dictated using them instead.

Hope these help the discussion

Peter Mac

Thanks, that what I was trying to explain, it was impossible to have the same wood as Gibson and Fender before 1965, because of the export ban.
Old braz come from a very small region of East Brazil. Now, people are confused with brazilian rosewood and rosewood export from Brazil, not the same wood, as you said, South America rosewood.
le juge
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ibicus wrote:
Some months ago I talked to a guy making expertises to legalize guitars with braz board due to the situation in germany regarding cites and brazilian rosewood.He told me that he could never say by looking at detailed pictures if it is braz or not as variations are possible and common.He also said he must have every guitar on his table and sometimes needs a small sample of the wood to be 100% sure what it is.

No, with a very detailed (High res) you can easily check the shape of the pores and the wood lines. It's more easy with the guitar in hands. Just the experience of checking many vintage guitars made before 1965 can help to identify braz...

Last edited by le juge on Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:37 am; edited 1 time in total
le juge
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said before, don't worry about your fretboard, these old Tokai/Greco HighEnd models have a vey good quality of rosewood.
Lumi71
Guitar God

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump.
still availible. Open to offers. Can ship internationally as well,
open for partial trades
more pics here
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Tokai-LS-120-Reborn-old-1980-MIJ-Japan-Rare-/171969791731?hash=item280a32c6f3:g:2eMAAOSwgQ9Vy4JO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Classifieds All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: