Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FS: 1983 Squier by Fender JV Black 57 RI MIJ Stratocaster

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Classifieds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voidoid56
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: MIJ forensics - mystery Greco SE Reply with quote

Picked this one up recently, a really battered and and largely unoriginal Greco SE. I paid 345 USD for it (incl shipping) figuring I might use it as modding vehicle.

Turns out it's an excellent guitar, even in the sorry state it's in. It took me three days to get around to taking it apart, every time I picked it up I ended up playing it instead. It's absurdly resonant, a real gut vibrator, and even with dodgy intomation, bumpy frets (right up to the 14th - obviously a hard-worked lead player's guitar), no relief and too skinny strings it plays like a dream.

Plugged in, not so much, the installed pickups are a sorry bunch of mismatched bottom-of-the-junk-drawer crap (I have a set of Maxon Excels on the way in as replacements). The switch is plasticky, wobbly and useless, but the pots and cap could possibly be original.
The neckplate is blank and looks basically new, so I've no idea of the year. The pots have '79 codes (if I read them right, "98"?) though. If they're original.

So far, it seems like the neck is a high-end item, SE-800 or above. Not at all sure about the body, the evidence is inconclusive. So, can you give me some further input as to the origin of this guitar? Or at least the parts it's made up from?

Thanks!

I firts though that the pinkish beige guard was fake aging, but it turns out it's white on the back and below the knobs.

The neck has quite extensive finger wear. Nitro??

High-end?

The cavity is hielded with screwed-in brass plating.

Pathetic pickups. 8.1, 4.83 and 6.05 k.

Judging from the cover aging, the pickups seems to have been on it for a while.

Probably not nitro... the body is a two-piece with litte or no figuring.
'82 Tokai ST-60,'85 Tokai TTE-60 TM, '78 Fernandes FST-60, '87 Burny RLG-90, '88 Burny RLC-60, late 80's Burny RSA-100, '94 ObG LPS-57C, '66 Fender Tele, '95 MIM Fender HSS Strat, '11 Schecter Hellcat VI, '74 Ibanez Concord 693 Dove
Voidoid56
Sus4add11

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and the tuners.
'82 Tokai ST-60,'85 Tokai TTE-60 TM, '78 Fernandes FST-60, '87 Burny RLG-90, '88 Burny RLC-60, late 80's Burny RSA-100, '94 ObG LPS-57C, '66 Fender Tele, '95 MIM Fender HSS Strat, '11 Schecter Hellcat VI, '74 Ibanez Concord 693 Dove
YOGA64
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what' s going on, I was posting my own ad, and ended up here!!!
wulfman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bizzaro land!
YOGA64
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think the moderator should get rid of this!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Classifieds All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: